Ashdown ABM combo speaker outputs

yourguitarhero

• Members

I have just bought an Ashdown ABM 300W 2x10" combo.

Amp is great, I love it.

On the back of the amp, there are 2 speaker outputs - a 1/4" jack, and a Speakon.

The combo's speakers are plugged into the 1/4" jack.

I have a 1x15" cab that I'd like to run as well.

Here are my questions:

1) are both speaker outputs active, or is a case of one or the other?

2) the amp says min impedance - 4 Ohm.

a) What is the impedance of the internal speakers, and how are they wired up?

b) are the speaker jacks wired in parallel (assuming that both work at same time)?

I have a feeling that both speaker jacks are alway running, that the internal speakers will be wired together to give an impedance of 8 ohms, and that if I plug my 1x15" into the speakon, everything will be good as it is an 8 ohm cab and when run paralleled with internal speakers, the amp will see 4 ohm.

Also, what power is the amp putting out when just using the combo speakers? About 200W?

Craig

• Members

aye, it is quite portable as well.

Not super loud though, we had to run it on 3/4s to keep up with our drummer. He does have a loud kit though, and it is in a warehouse.

The sound is amazing though - very punchy and clear.

Thats one hell of a loud drummer!

Top tip for rehersal/gigs if you aren't to fussy about tone - boost your mids and you should cut through more - so you don't have to push the amp quite as much.

• Members

I'm a big fan of Ashdown, to be honest. I feel they produce a very clear, deep, punchy bass sound. It makes me wizzle in my trousers a little bit. Maybe that's the "pearl sound"? Ooooh, I should be a comedian....=)

Explanation of bad joke - "pearl sound", as in "pearl jam", as opposed to "brown sound". Ahh... it made me chuckle...

• Members

Thats one hell of a loud drummer!

Top tip for rehersal/gigs if you aren't to fussy about tone - boost your mids and you should cut through more - so you don't have to push the amp quite as much.

Ah, don't worry - I know how to EQ a bass guitar amp - I do a lot of live sound work, and studio engineering.

The amp is "only" (ha ha) pushing 200W, and the room is massive - you need a lot of power for it. In a regular venue, it will be sweet.

But yeah, agree the guy above - the sound is awesome. Once we finally get shot of the Epiphone Thundebird (muddiest sounding bass I ever heard) we will be rocking.

Might pick up a Japanese Fender P Bass I reckon.

• Members

Ah, don't worry - I know how to EQ a bass guitar amp - I do a lot of live sound work, and studio engineering.

The amp is "only" (ha ha) pushing 200W, and the room is massive - you need a lot of power for it. In a regular venue, it will be sweet.

But yeah, agree the guy above - the sound is awesome. Once we finally get shot of the Epiphone Thundebird (muddiest sounding bass I ever heard) we will be rocking.

Might pick up a Japanese Fender P Bass I reckon.

Well just goes to show you never know hwo you are talking too! :D

Ashdowns are great. :)

Archived