So I think I'm going to get a Mac mini...

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I've got an iMac and a powerbook, and I've never been happier with computers than with Macs...

The Processor is not the weak point in my opinion of the Minis, so I don't think you need to get the biggest one... RAM on the other hand is always useful...

Enjoy!

PJ

• Members

I use one of the older Mac Minis at work (pre-Intel) and have an Intel Mini at home. They're fantastic for what I do (graphic design), and are just easy to work with. It can't hurt - ever - to add more RAM.

I just remembered that I get 17% off Macs, so the Mini with a 1.83Ghz, 2GB of Ram and the extended support plan, with an 80GB HDD, is only going to cost me AUD$1500. Unless I'm remembering my discount wrong, and it is actually 1.7% then it will cost me AUD$1800

• Members

I don't have a mini, but I've been using Apple computers & OS X since 2001. Great OS & Apple's control of both hardware & software makes for a more efficient system (OS specifically designed for the hardware) in general.

If you plan to record, then stuff as much RAM as possible into that thing, but don't buy the RAM from Apple. You can get RAM from 3rd party vendors much cheaper.

Also, plan to pick up an external 7200RPM (or faster) FireWire hard drive for recording. Keep your OS & apps on the internal hard drive and keep all your data on the external.

• Members

I've used them...they are really cool. I've been wanting one myself. As far as youre faster proc or more RAM question...you're talking to the wrong guy. I'm a network admin, so the more the merrier. Get what you can afford...just make sure you do some homework to know that what you get will do what you want. If you're just doing recording, get as much RAM as you can...once you start piling up tracks you'll wish you had more!

• Members

I don't have a mini, but I've been using Apple computers & OS X since 2001. Great OS & Apple's control of both hardware & software makes for a more efficient system (OS specifically designed for the hardware) in general.

If you plan to record, then stuff as much RAM as possible into that thing, but don't buy the RAM from Apple. You can get RAM from 3rd party vendors much cheaper.

Also, plan to pick up an external 7200RPM (or faster) FireWire hard drive for recording. Keep your OS & apps on the internal hard drive and keep all your data on the external.

Well, the Mini only has one FireWire input, so if I want to use a Presonus FireStudio, how do I have both hooked up to the Mini?

• Members

I have one of the older half ball iMacs now and I love it. The op system is great and I like not having that dang tower under my desk. I may go with a Mini when I upgrade in the near future or maybe another iMac(the flat pannel looking new ones) but I'm sold on Macs and Apple. :thu:

• Members

I have one of the older half ball iMacs now and I love it. The op system is great and I like not having that dang tower under my desk. I may go with a Mini when I upgrade in the near future or maybe another iMac(the flat pannel looking new ones) but I'm sold on Macs and Apple.
:thu:

But are they heavy or dark?!?!?!?!

;):p:D

• Members

I'm posting this from a MacPro. Nice computers, fun to mess with, but I cannot say they're superior to a PC, except for the fact that Apple controls the hardware and software, as mentioned before. But you pay for it. Well, that and all the shiny, white plastic they need ;)

If it works for you, great. IMO, the days of Macs and PC's being far apart in performance and features is almost over.

Dustin

• Members

But are they heavy or dark?!?!?!?!

;):p:D

:D You, why I ought ta', LOL. It's neither heavy or dark, it's actually pretty light and it's made out of white plastic. :thu:

As far as the "Heavy and Dark" stuff goes. I grew up listing to KISS, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, ect. so to me that's pretty much "normal" music, something has to be VERY heavy to be heavy to me. As for dark, I've heard some Country songs that are pretty dark, LOL.

• Members

I'm posting this from a MacPro. Nice computers, fun to mess with, but I cannot say they're superior to a PC, except for the fact that Apple controls the hardware and software, as mentioned before. But you pay for it. Well, that and all the shiny, white plastic they need
;)

If it works for you, great. IMO, the days of Macs and PC's being far apart in performance and features is almost over.

Dustin

Well I bought my first PC this time last year, and have had nothing but problems with it.

I can get a better system if i go for the mini than say a dell laptop (which is what i was looking at at first), i already have the monitor and mouse etc.

• Members

Well, the Mini only has one FireWire input, so if I want to use a Presonus FireStudio, how do I have both hooked up to the Mini?

Make sure your external hard drive has two FireWire ports. This way you can daisy chain your FireWire devices together. One port will connect to the Mac and the other will connect to your FireStudio.

Another solution would be to get a FireWire hub. These work like USB hubs in that they turn one port into 4.

• Members
Make sure your external hard drive has two FireWire ports. This way you can daisy chain your FireWire devices together. One port will connect to the Mac and the other will connect to your FireStudio.

Another solution would be to get a FireWire hub. These work like USB hubs in that they turn one port into 4.

Awesome, thanks :thu:

• Members

I bought a Mini a year ago and finally decided to take it out of the box and check out garage band (reason why I bought it). This is the single core Intel. Been having fun just checkin it out but haven't really gotten into it seriously yet. No manual, but I can buy "Garage Band for Dummies" I guess.

• Members

I helped my Dad with his last 'puter purchase, and got him set up with a Mac Mini. He had a limited budget. I had a spare(brand spankin' new) matching 17" LCD. He had nothing but problems with his old windows machine.

Everything went super smooth during setup. At this point, it's still working great, and he's coming right along with the new OS enviornment.

I've still got another mint LCD 17" in storage. I plan on getting a Mac Mini ASAP. :thu:

• Members

I'm a little biased since I work for one of the larger Apple resellers. If you're looking at the Mini, I usually suggest that you step up to the lowest-priced 17" iMac. It's only a little bit more expensive than a Mini plus a keyboard/mouse/monitor, is easier to upgrade, but has the same graphics setup with the intel processor and shared memory. I prefer the next step up with the ATI video, but it's not necessary for most apps.

As for RAM, you certainly can find cheaper memory than you can get from Apple. We stay away from the cheap stuff mainly because we hate dealing with returns, kernel panics, etc., but the average user doesn't have that problem.

• Members

I'm a little biased since I work for one of the larger Apple resellers. If you're looking at the Mini, I usually suggest that you step up to the lowest-priced 17" iMac. It's only a little bit more expensive than a Mini plus a keyboard/mouse/monitor, is easier to upgrade, but has the same graphics setup with the intel processor and shared memory. I prefer the next step up with the ATI video, but it's not necessary for most apps.

As for RAM, you certainly can find cheaper memory than you can get from Apple. We stay away from the cheap stuff mainly because we hate dealing with returns, kernel panics, etc., but the average user doesn't have that problem.

I think the portability of the Mini is something I am keen on on too.

Isn't the iMac the one that has the guts hanging out the back of the screen?

EDIT: just had a look, looks a lot different than i remember, i guess it was a while ago that they were bulky out the back?

Still cant decide between Mini, macbook, or imac, this is hard.

Archived