2001RBH vs. SVT-II Pro

In Absentia

• Members

I want to say RHCP used GK for a long time, and Incubus uses Mesa solid state (M-pulse maybe?). Mesa's from what I have heard known for a punchier sound that Ampeg is not so great at, but GK excels.

Especially if you slap, I'd say go for the Gk.

Or hell if you're gonna by a 1500.00 amp, maybe you should just get the Mesa 500 watt tube head?

• Members

I want to say RHCP used GK for a long time, and Incubus uses Mesa solid state (M-pulse maybe?). Mesa's from what I have heard known for a punchier sound that Ampeg is not so great at, but GK excels.

Especially if you slap, I'd say go for the Gk.

Or hell if you're gonna by a 1500.00 amp, maybe you should just get the Mesa 500 watt tube head?

It's only $1500? For some reason I thought it would be more.

• Members

GK, for what your playing.

But it's difficult to find many top of the range amps in a store unless you have a really big stockist nearby since all the money is made on more affordable items.

Personally? I would go with the Mesa 400+

• Members

The GK for many reasons. One is the GK has two 540w amps in it so you can run two cabs stereo or you can bridge them into one amp (say to power an 8x10). It's also bi-amped (seperate amps for tweeters) so it's more versatile and smooth. It also has a built-in distortion circut. With the right cabs you can make the GK sound like anything. Slapping (Flea), hard rock (GNR, Aerosmith), jazz, blues, whatever. I saw a great local blues band (Howard and the White Boys) and the bassplayer ran the 2001RB head into two Eden 4x10 cabs and he sounded perfect. The GK RBH series cabs or NEO cabs are the best choice for this head, IMO, but this head will make any pair of quality cabs sing. GK's design may seem complex but it really isn't, it's smart.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_hd_2001.html

Archived