What percentage of the players here have a P-Bass as their main ax?

Muddslide

• Members

I hardly ever come to the bass forum. I don't have a bass at the moment (and didn't have a guitar until very recently after having to sell off all my gear over the last few years)...but anyways, I love the bass. In my 25 years of playing and gigging, I've been behind a bass as much as a guitar.

In fact, I prefer the bass as a compositional tool to the guitar and while I'm only an average guitar player, I consider myself a pretty good bass player (although somewhat outta practice these days.)

But anyhoo, the P-Bass has always seemd like the most ubiquitous, common bass used in all of rock and roll. I can understrand why; it's a great design and a quality instrument.

I'm curious as to how many people use a P-Bass exclusively or more often than any other bass.

Damn. I gotta get me another bass soon. I love the bottom end.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've played bass for quite a number of years and had never once played or given any thought to a p-bass.

I bought an SX P last fall after playing a friends MIM P for a practice. It is my main bass and can do pretty much everything. It is my main bass now. I find the single P pickup and its placement to be very versatile.

• Members

Cool. I love a P-Bass myself. I owned an early 70s J bass for a long time and I have to say, at the time, I much preferred the slender neck width of the J-bass.

Also, I used to insist on rosewood fretboards on my basses.

But nowadays, I much prefer a maple-fretboarded P-bass neck. Go figure.

There's a super-cheap lefty P-bass hagning in the pawn shop in town. It's aged white, white pickguard, black pup cover.

I'm thinking of trying to get it (though I'm not sure how I can swing it yet) and eventually dropping an SD 1/4 pound P-bass pup in it and putting a right-handed maple P-bass replacement neck from Warmoth or some place on it.

(I'm left-handed though I play guitar and bass right handed. I just think it's so cheap, I wouldn't mind having a lefty P-bass strung to the right.)

• Members

Yep. Especially in the studio.

yep. you turn up for a session with a P, the engineer will love you. they know it will take about 30 seconds to get a great bass sound.

i used to use the P as the the main bass in the blues band. sat in the mix perfectly.

the cover band needs the versatility of the J.

Archived