Lenny Kravitz: Are You Gonna Go My Way

justinbass

• Members

Gah, learning the bass solo in this is killing me. Great bass line. My cover band decided to learn this song for Saturday, and it'll take more than the 1-5 run throughs most songs take to learn. :cry: (yeah, I am being a baby, I know it)

Cool song though, so I can't wait to play it out. :thu:

• Members

If the cover band that I used to be in did stuff like this than I would've stuck around. In the past three days you guys have talked about covers that I always suggested but ended up getting blown off. Dead Eye dick,Girlfriend, Are you gonna go my way, and thier was one more that I can't think of at the moment

• Members

It's not hard, but it is one of those recognizable lines, so I am trying to get it 100% Every time I play it, I miss like 3 notes.

Just keep plugging away, and you'll get it - although if you feel frustration creeping in, walk away for a bit, then come back to it - that approach will probably be more productive...

Also, I applaud you for wanting to nail a cover 100% correctly - IMO, FAR to many cover players only learn their songs about 80% correctly, then attribute the rest to "artistic license"... I say, if you're going to play covers, play them correctly - unless for whatever reason, your band wants to do them differently - but being too lazy to learn them properly is not a good enough excuse...

- georgestrings

• Members

Also, I applaud you for wanting to nail a cover 100% correctly - IMO, FAR to many cover players only learn their songs about 80% correctly, then attribute the rest to "artistic license"... I say, if you're going to play covers, play them correctly - unless for whatever reason, your band wants to do them differently - but being too lazy to learn them properly is not a good enough excuse...

- georgestrings

+1. Although i'd say it's more like 60% correctly. that would drive me nuts when i would play with people who had that mentality. all it is is laziness

• Members

Amen, brutha. And I agree it may be 60% or less...;)

EDIT: Let me clarify what I mean, though. Most of the time when I hear a band "doing their own version" of a cover, they sound half-assed. That's what bothers me. If a talented band does their "own version" of a cover and makes it "better", then that's fine wit' me.:thu:

• Members

I say, if you're going to play covers, play them correctly - unless for whatever reason, your band wants to do them differently - but being too lazy to learn them properly is not a good enough excuse...

I used to be a big believer in the note for note thing but not any more. Now I think that every band and every player has a musical identity that defines things that you're really good at and things at which you suck. I think that songs should be arranged highlighting your strong points and staying away from the weak ones. I've seen too many bands suck big time in their attempts to be musically accurate.

• Members

I used to be a big believer in the note for note thing but not any more. Now I think that every band and every player has a musical identity that defines things that you're really good at and things at which you suck. I think that songs should be arranged highlighting your strong points and staying away from the weak ones. I've seen too many bands suck big time in their attempts to be musically accurate.

Very true.

Also, I hate seeing bands that just play the covers note for note. It's boring and can be replaced with a Jukebox. It's far more interesting to see what people can come up with to interpret the songs.

• Members

It is important to get signature parts right, but it is also important not to loose the groove if you screw up. A guy I used to play with said that wrong notes are much less offensive than a blown groove, and I strongly agree. People won't miss a few notes, but they can't help but notice a trainwreck.

• Members

EDIT: Let me clarify what I mean, though. Most of the time when I hear a band "doing their own version" of a cover, they sound half-assed.
That's
what bothers me. If a talented band does their "own version" of a cover and makes it "better", then that's fine wit' me.
:thu:

I agree totally. I see a lot of this type of 'cover' in the punk/indie original scene. It bores the hell out of me...taking a song with layers and subtleties and simplifying it down to nothing but power chords on guitar and root notes on bass is unacceptable, but is the 'punk' way of doing it. Poo. Take for instance my suggestion of a band I was in playing "Every Breath You Take"...the guitarist was like, well, I'm not doing the add9 stuff. I'm like, that's the riff! That's half of the hook of the damned song! Same goes for bands playing Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me"...Rick Nielson tears up that song with leads! I've never seen anyone even attempt anything more than just playing the chords. So half-assed.

• Members

It is important to get signature parts right, but it is also important not to loose the groove if you screw up. A guy I used to play with said that wrong notes are much less offensive than a blown groove, and I strongly agree. People won't miss a few notes, but they can't help but notice a trainwreck.

We in the bass world should definitely take this to heart. Occasionally, there is a bass lick that people will identify a song with...learn those 100%. Other than that, drunk people just want to be provided with means to shake their asses. We can provide that.

Archived