I just got my first soldering iron!

Rippin' Robin

• Members

Like... ROHS-compliance is for wussies... Real men just huff the lead fumes man, and inhale it all the way!
;)

Thanks for the safety tip, though. I ordered some lead-free solder.

Blame it on the Brits! Damned E.U. sanctions! You know they haven't found any conclusive proof that lead-free actually reduces the risk of any contamination at all? As a matter of fact, environmentalists are now saying that it's worsening the U.K. watter supply because of ROHS!

• Members

It's a ham radio that you build from a kit. Takes ... oh... about 100 hours to put together unless you have some amount of experience.

Cost is about $600 or so but it outperforms radios that cost thousands. The designers are true geniuses.

I've build half a dozen different kits. None of them are overly difficult - just time-consuming in some cases. I did most of mine when I was going through a divorce. Rather than drink, run around, etc, I picked up a new hobby. It was good therapy that carried me through some pretty dark times.

• Members

It's a ham radio that you build from a kit. Takes ... oh... about 100 hours to put together unless you have some amount of experience.

Cost is about $600 or so but it outperforms radios that cost thousands. The designers are true geniuses.

I've build half a dozen different kits. None of them are overly difficult - just time-consuming in some cases. I did most of mine when I was going through a divorce. Rather than drink, run around, etc, I picked up a new hobby. It was good therapy that carried me through some pretty dark times.

Like Heathkits used to be?

Does Heathkit even sell kits any more?

• Moderators

Rather than drink, run around, etc, I picked up a new hobby. It was good therapy that carried me through some pretty dark times.

This is how I was lead into guitar/bass tube amp building. Wife lost herself to mental illness and now I'm in court struggling to protect my son and myself. Nights spent building amps is a great release.

Archived