What pickguard suits a blue agave MIM Precision?

Lip Smackers

• Members

The original plain 3 ply white pickguard that came on my bass makes it look like something a 13 year old would play. It's all unfinished and crappy looking around the edges too -enhancing the "my first bass" vibe.

I tried a gold anodized one, but the colors clashed. I think regular tortoise-shell would too. Nothing seems to match! I'd like the bass to have a vintage type vibe to it since the original color has yellowed quite nicely over the past 9 years. It's just that damn pickguard making it look like creamed crap!

Has anyone got any suggestions? Perhaps just a decent quality white one would make a difference? Maybe try yellowing the original (even though it's edges are crap)?

• Members

can you post a picture of your bass as Im not too familiar with that particular color(blue agave you said?)

Perhaps a mint green pickguard to give it that aged look?

( I put one on my 97 American Standard P bass and it seems to have given it a nicer vibe than the original white did, so this might work for you,just my 2 cents)

• Members

I've seen that finish and I gotta say, I can't think of anything that would look real good on it OTHER than W/B/W.

I don't care for pearloid personally, but maybe you could try that?

I had a burst P-Bass for a while with a tortoise pickguard that got so scratched and warped over time that I just sawed off the entire pickguard aside from the portion covering the knobs and jack. Looked great.

The only other option I can think of is maybe a silver anodized? But I don't think that would look any better than the gold.

Hmmm. Some help I am...

• Members

can you post a picture of your bass as Im not too familiar with that particular color(blue agave you said?)

Perhaps a mint green pickguard to give it that aged look?

( I put one on my 97 American Standard P bass and it seems to have given it a nicer vibe than the original white did, so this might work for you,just my 2 cents)

This is what the blue looks like:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/styrowfoam/pic.jpg

Technically is should look nice with anodized gold, but the gold color was too dark when I tried a new one straight from the packet. It would work perfectly if the gold was more mellow and faded like the one on this bass:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/styrowfoam/58P-bass009.jpg

• Members

This is what the blue looks like:

Technically is
should
look nice with anodized gold, but the gold color was too dark when I tried a new one straight from the packet. It would work perfectly if the gold was more mellow and faded like the one on this bass:

cool color, I thought it was silver at first but now I see the blue in it.Not sure on tht eguard color, maybe an ano would work though TBH I had considered the same thing for mine at first to make it look more like an early 60s P, but the new Anodized pickguards are way too bright I agree.

• Members

Welp, I threw caution to the wind and bought the gold anodized pickguard with the knowledge it will probably dull and fade over time. The one on that Daphne Blue '58 I linked to turned out to be a brand new pickguard that's been relic'd! So there's hope yet.

Now I just need a few holes redrilled so the damn thing fits. I'll post a pic when the whole upgrade project is finished in about a week. I'm also getting the stock pups replaced with Fender's alnico aftermarket dealies, so I suppose my bass is basically like one of those new Classic 50's now.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

• Members

I'd go with a white pearloid...

+ a huge 1.

Let that color stand on it's own, you don't need any more color on a pickguard that large. Spice it up with the white pearloid, and it won't cause any mismatch or visual overload on the bass.

Archived