Building a frettless Jazz. (but not like Jaco)

RustyBass

• Members

Hey there,

What do you guys recomend in the way of necks, pick ups, bridges for an old mexican fender j body. I've been intrested in trying a graphite neck (ive heard the sound difference: fuller tone, no dead spots) and perhaps some bartolinis on it? but i want a fuller tone and make it less of a j bass and more of a soapbar pick up sound.

or shall i just get a status stealth2 or a modulus?:wave:

• Members

Welcome to the HCBF! :thu:

If you have the money for a modulus, you'll be very happy with it. Great basses. On more of a budget though, it should be easy enough to find a neck to fit into a J body. Many venders make after market necks designed for Fender.

The pickups all depend on the sound you want. What bassist's sound are you going after?

Also, if you want more sustain, upgrading the flimsy stock fender bridge to a Badass bridge, or a gotoh 201 would improve the tone.

• Members

Lost of parts available , Warmoth , Stew mac , etc . Graphite necks , Status , Moses . It depends you could sink a ton of $ into it , the big question for me ,is the body worth it , is it Basswood , Poplar , plywood . While it may not bother you or many here the body wood is very important to me . I wouldn't want to build a 1k plywood bass :p And :wave:

• Members
Lost of parts available , Warmoth , Stew mac , etc . Graphite necks , Status , Moses . It depends you could sink a ton of $ into it , the big question for me ,is the body worth it , is it Basswood , Poplar , plywood . While it may not bother you or many here the body wood is very important to me . I wouldn't want to build a 1k plywood bass
:p
And
:wave:

Yeah. I would be concerned about the wood. MIMs are now pretty similar to MIAs, but in the past they were much cheaper. If you go to the warmoth showcase, you can often pick up a painted J body for under 300 bucks if you aren't picky about color. While this is more than a free body, it is a rounding error next to a graphite neck

• Members

Thanks for the advice guys.

| suppose i'll just go ahead with my old body. I never really thought about the body as a major factor. In the past ive owned an american fender but frankly i couldn't justify the difference between them.

If i put a badass II bridge on it i'm sure it will sing for hours!

• Members

Mexican Fenders from that vintage tend to be either poplar or alder bodied, both of which should work just fine for your project.

Not all graphite necks are the same. Modulus and Moses necks feel and sound very different to me, given a similar pickup configuration. I've never played a Status but I'd wager that they are a different feel again. Anyone making graphite replacement necks will offer Fender heel dimensions on some models. Moses has two or three that are designed for Fenders.

For pickups, there is a good chance you will have to route even for a different set of J pickups. MIM Fenders of that vintage tend to have two pickups of the same size, while most replacements are longer in the bridge pickup.

• Members

I would highly recommend USA custom guitars for necks or bodies. They are a great bunch of guys and do great work. Check my sig for a bass that I built using their parts. As far as graphite goes, I love it! It isn't for some people though. So I would try out a a couple of basses similar to what you want to put together just to get the different feels of the options. Hope this helps.

• Members

Thanks for the advice guys.

| suppose i'll just go ahead with my old body. I never really thought about the body as a major factor. In the past ive owned an american fender but frankly i couldn't justify the difference between them.

If i put a badass II bridge on it i'm sure it will sing for hours!

Hey Rusty - here's my 2pence...

I'd look at a mighty mite neck....they sell for around 95$us here in the states... http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-MM2908-J-BASS-GUITAR-ROSEWOOD-NECK-MIGHTY-MITE_W0QQitemZ290085278833QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41423QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

badassII - I have one on my mim jazz, and I have a Gotoh 201 on my sx p...I really prefer the gotoh because it has the same definition and sustain qualities of the BA but a flatter fz. response...BA tends to bump the upper fz - which is not necessarily bad but I like the gotoh better....and it's about half the price.

to sum up - mighty mite and gotoh...good!

Welcome to the board....let's see some pics of your project as it progresses...c-d

• Members

Yeah, Id heard that mexican fenders had the same size pick ups for neck and bridge. Its really obvious when you look at it Sunburstbasser!:mad:

I'll take a look at the moses ones but id doubt if i could get a chance to play one. To me the status and modulus graphite are pretty similar to me so i'm leaning toward a status as ive played a s2 and was convinced with graphite necks. ultimately a sonic hammer would be my dream. your very lucky Phil K:thu:

Mighty mite necks were what inspired me to customize but they don't do j-bass fretless neck?:eek:

anyway, graphite is the way through as i love the fact you can get the neck super straight, have a low action with light strings, and still have a thunderous tone with super sustain!:evil: he he

i'll check out the gotoh as well Chris maybe it will balance the graphite necks higher fz responce better than the Baddass.:idea:

what about the pick ups? I've seen a flea modulus with a soapbar bartolini and was hooked! what would be best for a fretless considering its a graphite neck?

Archived