HumptyThumpty is thumpin' a P

HumptyThumpty

• Members

Found this 80's MIJ P in the music store. It's cool, I dig it but I learned some lessons. I almost took it back but decided to keep it. They told me it was a 1989 57 RI Precision. As you'll see it's not a 57 RI at all but made to look like one. I was also told it has a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup but I don't know if I believe that now, I need to look at it closer. I did go back to the store to point out that they miss-ID'd the bass.

It sounds and plays great so I was torn about keeping it or taking it back. I traded my Ibanez 5-string, my SX P fretless and gave them $216 with tax. Since my trades weren't selling I decided to keep it.

Questions:

Does anyone know how to tell a Duncan Antiquity pickup?

Do all Fender P basses have neck dive?

Any ideas on fixing this?

P%20Bass%20Broken%20Tuner.jpg

Lessons

Here is what my friend pointed out to me showing it's not a 57 RI, just mid-80's MIJ P.

Not vintage saddles

P%20Bass%20Bridge.jpg

No Spagetti logo and serial number should be on the back

P%20Bass%20Headstock.jpg

Pulled the pickguard to show it had 13 holes

P%20Bass%20Body2.jpg

P%20Bass%20Back.jpg

P%20Bass%20Body1.jpg

P%20Bass%20Full.jpg

• Members

Lessons

Here is what my friend pointed out to me showing it's not a 57 RI, just mid-80's MIJ P.

No Spagetti logo and serial number should be on the back

That's the kicker, since bridges can be changed. Reissues = MIJ at the heel of the neck, not on the headstock.

Depending on what the Ibanez was, you paid near the high end of the normal range MIJ's go for (and depending on the Pups, it could be middle of the range)...

As for the Pups, with the antiquities, there are no external markings, you'd have to take the pickguard off and look under the hood (as far as I know, which may be wrong)...

• Members

Does anyone know how to tell a Duncan Antiquity pickup?

Sorry - can't help you there...

Do all Fender P basses have neck dive?

Never heard, or experienced a P having neck dive...

Any ideas on fixing this?

Although not really a fix, if you're even considering doing any drop tunings, you could just buy a Hipshot, and swap around the broken one...

Even if it isn't exactly what you thought it was, it still looks like a pretty nice bass...

- georgestrings

Archived