Opinions needed on Epiphone Thuderbird bass?

twostone

• Members

Just wanted to know anybody use these basses for gigging and how they like it? Our guitarist got his tax refund and wants to buy me one on a loan. Because he's wants to make our band sound better and doesn't like my cheap Washburn XB bass which I'm happy with playing thru old 300watt Peavey Mark 5 bass head and 2x15 Crate cab. Just figured maybe their's some Tbird users out there that could give me some input on the Epiphone T-bird bass line . Thanks.

• Members

My buddy has two vintage Gibsons (maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but after I heard the really good one, maybe worth considering). One sounds unreal, the other just sounds like a pretty good bass, nothing magical like the other.

As Jannda pointed out, try before you buy, they are definitely different.

Billy-B

• Members

Just wanted to know anybody use these basses for gigging and how they like it? Our guitarist got his tax refund and wants to buy me one on a loan. Because he's wants to make our band sound better and doesn't like my cheap Washburn XB bass which I'm happy with playing thru old 300watt Peavey Mark 5 bass head and 2x15 Crate cab. Just figured maybe their's some Tbird users out there that could give me some input on the Epiphone T-bird bass line . Thanks.

Curious, what doesn't he like about your tone? What kind of tone do you want, that would better fit into your band? I would bet that your guitarist doesn't know one thing about what that or any bass sounds like in a band mix. Ask him to spell out exactly what he thinks doesn't sound right, or what he thinks would sound better. Then if you agree play with your amp and bass to try to accomodate that different tone, and most likely you can help the band mix a lot with the gear you already have, and the bass you say YOU are happy with. Only then would I look for another bass for the job, and I would look for a bass the suited me, not a guitarist. Good luck!

edit: forgot, don't be afraid to tell him if it's his tone or eq that is causing mix problems. Guitarists are notorious for cranking out eq settings that sound great at home and terrible in a live mix. If his tone is stepping all over your's then he has some tweaking, and learning to do to help your band, not just you. Could be one of the issues, but if so bring it up.

• Members

Curious, what doesn't he like about your tone? What kind of tone do you want, that would better fit into your band? I would bet that your guitarist doesn't know one thing about what that or any bass sounds like in a band mix. Ask him to spell out exactly what he thinks doesn't sound right, or what he thinks would sound better. Then if you agree play with your amp and bass to try to accomodate that different tone, and most likely you can help the band mix a lot with the gear you already have, and the bass you say YOU are happy with. Only then would I look for another bass for the job, and I would look for a bass the suited me, not a guitarist. Good luck!

edit: forgot, don't be afraid to tell him if it's his tone or eq that is causing mix problems. Guitarists are notorious for cranking out eq settings that sound great at home and terrible in a live mix. If his tone is stepping all over yours then he has some tweaking, and learning to do to help your band, not just you. Could be one of the issues, but if so bring it up.

He said that when he was a bassist before becoming a guitarist it's what he used and said that they were great sounding bass plenty fat tone. He really taught me a lot on bass so I do look up to him because he's pretty good musician on bass as well as guitar. So I figured he would know and mainly it would help out with the over all sound of the band. Plus the money is burning a hole in his pocket he's already bought a brand new Peavey tube amp head and new Gibson flying V. I think he's just wants to help me out because I'm broke ass musician and wants all of our gear to be new. Our drummer bought a set brand new JBL's for FOH the other guitarist bought a brand new Marshall and the singer just bought a new Mackie mixer but my broke dick ass can verily afford gas to show up for practice. So I guess he just figure maybe I felt left out ( no tax refund ) and he compensating for me who knows but 10$ a week I going for it. BTW thanks for the info. on neck heavey question to the OP.

• Members

He said that when he was a bassist before becoming a guitarist it's what he used and said that they were great sounding bass plenty fat tone.

Ok, but remember that an Epi T-bird is not going to sound like a Gibson T-bird, and you might want to ask him if he's talking about the Gibson bass. Still, I would say again try to figure out what is missing in your tone, and what you guys want to improve before you go out and buy that bass. Then go play one and a/b it with your bass. If it fits the bill go for it, but if it doesn't fix your band tone problem look elsewhere. And trust yourself to pick the best bass. It's going to be yours, so find the one that fits you the best, not one that a guitarist tells you to buy. You need to play a lot of basses in that price range to know, so hit up all the stores you can and go have some fun bass researching.:cool:

• Members

Got the Tbird in and whoever said it sounds and feels cheap is full of {censored} this MF is awesome the EMG's rule blows away my cheap ass Washburn away I ran this bitch through a Ampeg pedal into a Peavey Mark V bass head with dual 15's Crate cab and man this bitch cut right through the wash of 2 half stack guitar cabs and over playing drummer. Only downside was the OP's neck heavy cuts down on my smoking hard to lite up a cig. other then that I love it.:love:

• Members

Got the Tbird in and whoever said it sounds and feels cheap is full of {censored} this MF is awesome the EMG's rule blows away my cheap ass Washburn away I ran this bitch through a Ampeg pedal into a Peavey Mark V bass head with dual 15's Crate cab and man this bitch cut right through the wash of 2 half stack guitar cabs and over playing drummer. Only downside was the OP's neck heavy cuts down on my smoking hard to lite up a cig. other then that I love it.
:love:

I'm glad you like it but i still say they feel and sound cheap, to me anyway. but to each their own:thu:

• Members

I love em...I want one so bad...waitin on my tax check still...but yeah. They don't have EMGs in em, they would say EMG on em no matter what model they are, MF has an error on that, especially since the 81/85 models are GUITAR pickups. I e-mailed them a month or two back...and they didn't fix it...whatever. I personally like how the Epi plays/sounds, the only fix I'm gonna do is get a neck plate and drill a hole in it, that way I can put the strap button in the Gibby spot at the heel joint.

• Members

Got the Tbird in and whoever said it sounds and feels cheap is full of {censored}...

Well you did ask for people's opinions. To dismiss them this way is hardly fair. I tried one and didn't like the feel or sound, but realised that may have been my personal preferences as opposed to it just being a poor instrument.

• Members

Well you did ask for people's opinions. To dismiss them this way is hardly fair. I tried one and didn't like the feel or sound, but realised that may have been my personal preferences as opposed to it just being a poor instrument.

Well okay I'm bad but it's a big step up from my Washburn XB bass which feels cheap compared to the Tbird but evenally I'm gonna get a real Tbird but this cheap Tbird as some of you say works for now.

Archived