Looking for some song recommendations...again...

Thunderbroom

• Members
Paula Abdul - Straight Up

Trust me on this one. Look up "Straight Up Acoustic" on Youtube. My band borrowed inspiration from that guy and we rock the living {censored} out of that song. It would be super bad ass with two female singers.

THAT is brilliant!

I just sent the link to my singers.
:thu:

Edit: I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm looking for songs that are not country tunes.

• Members

We've considered this song actually, but no one seems to really like it that much as it's been overdone.

RE: Black Velvet

we dropped it as soon as we could.

we added I'm the Only One by Melissa Etheredge instead.

our chick singa can sing the hell out of it. nice bass bits as well.

• Members

THAT is brilliant!

Edit: I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm looking for songs that are
not
country tunes.

OK -

Hella Good - No Doubt

Get This Party Started - Pink

I Touch Myself - The Divinyls

Heart Of Glass - Blondie

Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford

Bitch - Meredith Brooks

You Ought To Know - Alanis Morisette

• Members

OK -

I Touch Myself - The Divinyls

Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford

we do those, as well as -

You're No good - Linda Ronstadt

Boots - Nancy Sinatra

Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top (with chick singa)

I Wanna be Sedated - Ramones

I Love Rock and Roll - Joan Jett

I Hate Myself For Loving You - Joan Jett.

• Members
I'm trying to think what I would do if I was in a YFC-type band:

High Road Easy - Sass Jordan

I played that in a previous band, good suggestion. The singers would get to rock it up and it's fun to play as well. Just lock in and make it tight!

And the Aerosmith was a good suggestion too, but I'd pick Sweet Emotion. Instant regonition, people love it, super fun bass line = winner.:cool:

• Members
The singers and I are still working behind the scene on an ubercool song suggestion.

The latest suggestion from one of the singers:

Lady Marmalade!

Eh, with the recent cover, this one looks less attractive (to my eyes at least...though the video for that cover was attractive indeed :D)

• Members
How about some Steve Earle or John Hiatt? They have a country element but a little more rocked up -

Steve Earle -

Copperhead Road

Guitar Town

Devil's Right Hand

John Hiatt-

Memphis In the Meantime

Perfectly Good Guitar

A Thing Called Love

I've recommended both these guys before, Copperhead Road in particular - excellent song. Though some country act in the last few years has a remake out that absolutely sucks compared to Earle's original. :mad:

• Members
We're a classic rock cover band and love to do that one.

However, when we're being asked to play some country, the one we always pull out (and it' ain't country) is

Thin Lizzy -- The Cowboy Song

It's a great rocker, excellent dual leads in harmony, superb bass part -- and it starts out slow and "country-like".

Yeah! We did that in the last band I was in - great tune, fun to play - though I have to admit, handling the singing and the bass part was tricky to learn. There are a bunch of lesser known Thin Lizzy tunes that would fit as well.

• Members

We've considered this song actually, but no one seems to really like it that much as it's been overdone.

So do it punk or something! :)

(Sometimes when a good song is too overdone, a complete rearrangement works really well.)

• Members
We're learning 'I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock and Roll' by Nick Lowe. It's a must for playing weddings.
:D

"Crawlin' from the Wreckage" is a fun one, too, has a bit of a rockabilly twinge.

On that note, "What's So Funny ('bout Peace, Love and Understanding)" is a classic, whether Nick Lowe's or Elvis Costello's version.

• Members
Good to see the multi-quote function being put to good use

Honestly, I don't actually like it myself, since it's hard to follow when you're multiquoted, but still, 5 posts in a row gets a joke

Sorry about that, yeah, a bit silly. I need to read ahead before posting more, but multiquote only makes sense to me when I'm really responding to a subthread as one, and these were mostly cases where I was responding to individual posts as I came across them - I guess I could use mutiquote and insert my responses piecemeal throughout, that'd mean reading ahead and planning more.

Archived