Stupid band names: Yet they work.

Fireball_73

• Members

What I can mean is that it can be so hard to come up with a good name for a band, yet you will hear/see a name of a band hitting it big, that is completly absurd, and you could never use if you were a local original/cover band without getting the pished ripped out of you - yet when you are exposed to it you think nothing of it. You might even like it/think it is cool/wish you hadn't thought it was a stupid name...

First example: I was working on Saturday, and on the radio a band comes on with the name "The Twang", and I thought nothing much of it. Then I remembered an old train of thought. If I tried to name my band (of any genre) "The Twang" we would get slagged rotten, yet when people hear it on the radio they think it is anything but stupid! :rolleyes:

Second example: AC/DC - I would never pick that name. Great band, but I would have laughed that name away if it had been suggested to me. Yet it is awesome, because I have known since before I was born they are an awesome band.

Any examples you guys would like to contribute? :wave:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I can mean is that it can be so hard to come up with a good name for a band, yet you will hear/see a name of a band hitting it big, that is completly absurd, and you could never use if you were a local original/cover band without getting the pished ripped out of you - yet when you are exposed to it you think nothing of it. You might even like it/think it is cool/wish you hadn't thought it was a stupid name...

First example: I was working on Saturday, and on the radio a band comes on with the name "The Twang", and I thought nothing much of it. Then I remembered an old train of thought. If I tried to name my band (of any genre) "The Twang" we would get slagged rotten, yet when people hear it on the radio they think it is anything but stupid!
:rolleyes:

Second example: AC/DC - I would never pick that name. Great band, but I would have laughed that name away if it had been suggested to me. Yet it is awesome, because I have known since before I was born they are an awesome band.

Any examples you guys would like to contribute?
:wave:

Pink floyd! I mean, seriously WTF is that anyway?????

• Members

yeap - the floyd - that never even came into my mind! Just goes to show eh?

Fallout boy - there is a reason why I have a page ripped out of an old simpson comic (as a joke) with Radioactive man saying "Jeepers - my sidekick fallout boy is a dirty hippy" :D;)

The Flecktones - I would have never though of that one either - but my second name ain't Fleck I suppose!

• Members
Most band names are kinda stupid, on the face of it.

Metallica? Pantera? Machine Head? Sound more like Decepticons than heavy metal bands.

It's just that you gradually begin to associate the name with the band, rather than vice versa.

Ooohhh... The Decepticons would be a great name for a band! :idea:
I wonder if it's already taken...

Even though they were an awesome band, I thought Alice In Chains was a stupid name. It worked though.

Archived