OT: job related - anyone work with mortgages?

Super Bass

• Members

Well, you could start with a search on mortgages. Basically there are two kinds, fixed and adjustable. For fixed, the most common are 15 & 30 year mortgages. For adjustable, you have ARMs, balloon payment, interest only (this may be fixed, not adjustable) and all kinds of fun stuff.

You should probably hit a mortgage site or 6 and familiarize yourself with current offerings.

• Members

Never been involved in the business, but be carefull!! I've known at least 5 or 6 people in the past year that work in the business but they all say it's so cut-throat now that it's hard to make a living. They're all struggling musicians now. Of course there are people that do extremely well in the business.....

Mr. Matt

• Members

You'll be taking a lot of basic questions on account status, pay-off amounts - nothing overly difficult. You won't need an HP - your system will have all of the information available.

My 12C is about 10-years old. Can't destroy one of these - a truly great purchase when the need presents itself.

• Members

You're applying for a job working with existing customers and admit knowing very little about mortgages.

Dude...
:freak:

This thread frightens me a little.

:D don't worry, they dont expect me to know everything. just some basic stuff. they provide the necessary training. :)

i was just looking for some good links, when i google mortgages i just get crap showing up. :mad:

• Members

You won't find much on-line for a customer service job related to mortgages. Like you said, they'll teach you the larger points and most of it is proabably script driven w/ screen pops.

i know that, i'm working in cust services at the moment. although its not prompted as much as you'd think.

i was just looking for some basic info on the various types of mortgages. thats it :) nothin' too in depth ;)

• Members

My wife used to do a job very similar and started with no mortgage experience. Meticulous attention to detail in maintaining the file is a must. If you've ever bought a house there are a seemingly endless number of documents, all of them important. If something goes missing it's your ass.

Also since they are willing to train I personally would not go in there to try to impress them with what you were able to learn about the business the day before. I'd be more trying to show them things involving your work ethic. In a job like that follow up with the customer is another biggie. They are trying to get as many of these huge ass files processed as soon as possible and sometimes you have to drive it through coordination and follow up.

Good luck. If its a good established lending company and you like that kind of work it should be a good job.

• Members

My wife used to do a job very similar and started with no mortgage experience. Meticulous attention to detail in maintaining the file is a must. If you've ever bought a house there are a seemingly endless number of documents, all of them important. If something goes missing it's your ass.

Also since they are willing to train I personally would not go in there to try to impress them with what you were able to learn about the business the day before. I'd be more trying to show them things involving your work ethic. In a job like that follow up with the customer is another biggie. They are trying to get as many of these huge ass files processed as soon as possible and sometimes you have to drive it through coordination and follow up.

Good luck. If its a good established lending company and you like that kind of work it should be a good job.

yes, it is an established lending company. approx 30 years+

i figure its good to have a basic idea of it. it can't hurt. :)

Archived