BeeTL

• Members

well, if you really mean high-line:

infomouseslices_04.jpg

http://www.roballenguitars.com/images/info_mouse/infomouseslices_04.jpg

and while you're at it, pick me up one in spalted maple
:D

Nice, but not really my thing...

I'm leaning towards the SG bass in ebony, maybe with a custom white pearl pickguard and truss rod cover:

gibson_basgebch.jpg

The Allen Woody's in a close second with the Danelectro bringing up the rear.

If the newer Dano's were closer to $300 I'd already have one...

:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A little update:

Well, I've decided to go the "project bass" route. I'm going to get an Epi EB-0 and replace the stock pickup with a Dark Star. I'm going to order the pickup tonight and the bass next week.

275029.jpg

• Members

I think if you watch ebay carefully you can find an old Gibson EBO, or EB3 in the $500-800 range. They're a lot more potent than the new EBO's, although I've heard good things about the Elite models, but those are around $900-1200 if memory serves.

I own an Epiphone Allen Woody, but more as a tribute to the man and his music than a serious instrument.

Ultimately, I would, and repeatedly have gone with the vintage Gibson EBOs and EB3s. Love 'em to pieces and just thick and bassy. Here's a picture of an old Guild that's been somewhat modified and an EB3 that I picked up very reasonably off half.com.

MVC-409S.jpg

ElectricBass001.jpg

Either one of these is a more serious, professional quality instrument than the new Epiphones. If you can AB one you won't believe the difference in the electronics.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I own a '69 Gibson EBO. I confess its the only bass i've owned and played at great length and I doubt i'd part with it. I picked it up about 10 years ago for $700 (Aussie $$). Cosmetically its seen better days but it's still a great player. All mahogany set neck etc, as far basses go i think its a unique instrument. I read somewhere on the internet someone describing short scale basses as sounding "plinky" but i beg to differ with the EBO. my one is the model that has just the one huge chrome pup butted right next to the neck - which has a very high output and i would describe its tone as more 'bass' rather than 'plinky'. If anything i sometimes wish i had a more crisp sorta option, I guess thats why the EB3 had the bridge pup aswell. If you cant find a good used Gibbo, i've seen jap replica's of these guitars at reasonable prices greco etc.

My mate has a hofner bass not the beatle bass but a more conventional looking one. - found a pic here

http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/showroom/56/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.showroom_flypage/product_id,179/category_id,78/

it has the same 30.5 inch scale length as a the EBO, and has a really nice neck on it too. probably not that common but.

• Members

Sounds like you made up your mind. Still, I own two Waterstone 30" scale basses and they are amazing! The Indra is like a Hofner Club bass, but only costs about $600 and the Indra I is a single PU version that has one tone knob and one volume knob, and costs $370. I used to own an Epiphone Allen Woody, and when I got my Indra I sold the Epiphone. These Waterstones sound HUGE for short scale basses and are not "woofy" or "thuddy" like some short scale basses. Anyway, they work for me, and I love them. My band members love these basses too!

• Members

Hmmmm, if you get a Hofner, get a Club bass. Cost about $1800, and are cool looking! Or get the following for a fraction of the cost:

http://modguitars.com/bass_indra.shtml

http://modguitars.com/bass_indra_I.shtml

I have the Indra I in pink and it is soooo cool!

I have mixed feelings about Hofner violin basses. Seems only two people should play those and can look cool playing those: 1) Paul McCartney or 2) If you play Paul McCartney in a Beatles tribute band.

I saw a picture of the guy in Tesla playing a Hofner violin bass. Weird!!!

• Members

Sounds like you made up your mind. Still, I own two Waterstone 30" scale basses and they are amazing! The Indra is like a Hofner Club bass, but only costs about $600 and the Indra I is a single PU version that has one tone knob and one volume knob, and costs $370. I used to own an Epiphone Allen Woody, and when I got my Indra I sold the Epiphone. These Waterstones sound HUGE for short scale basses and are not "woofy" or "thuddy" like some short scale basses. Anyway, they work for me, and I love them. My band members love these basses too!

I'm expecting delivery of a Waterstone Brighton 64.

I hope to have it tomorrow or Wendsday.

I've never played one before and I have my hopes up.

I do have a Longhorn that I'm madly in love with.

• Members

I own a Waterstone Brighton 64 bass and it kicks major a$$!!! I have a trans cherry 32" scale, and this thing is well builst and has an amazing tone! One of the best sounding basses in my collection. The body on this thing looks SOOOO Stu Sutcliffe and is a real dream to play! I hope you enjoy yours.

Archived