Advice?

Spin Cycle

• Members

I'm currently in the process of flunking out of university because all I ever do is sit in my room and practice, all I've ever wanted to do is play music. Deal is, the best guitarist and best drummer I know (both good friends) are attending the community college in my hometown, which actually has an amazing jazz program.

Anyone ever auditioned for a jazz program before? What do I need to know? What will I be expected to do? I have a good ear, 8 years of piano theory background, can read chord charts, can't sightread to save my life.

• Members

They will give you a piece of music to sight read and then you will play it for them. Sometimes you will also choose a piece to play for them that showcases your strengths as a musician/bassist. Sometimes you will do an ear training and chord recognition test. You will likely do a theory test.

Practice your sight reading and you'll probably be alright.

• Members

They will give you a piece of music to sight read and then you will play it for them. Sometimes you will also choose a piece to play for them that showcases your strengths as a musician/bassist. Sometimes you will do an ear training and chord recognition test. You will likely do a theory test.

Practice your sight reading and you'll probably be alright.

I have been playing music since I was 12 years old and could never sight read worth a flipin fact I have to transscribe Notation to tab then I have to practice the piece a lot to get the piece to time

but if i can hear the piece once or twice I can play it.

are there any instructional videos books ect that can make someone a better sight reader that you guys may know of?:freak:

• Members

I think all the instructional videos in the world won't help you as much as just woodshedding, but by God I got booted out of piano lessons when my teacher finally realized that I could only *sorta* read music, and was mostly playing by ear. I hope I can get it together by next fall.

Also, anyone know where I can find free practice bass sheet music on the internet?

Archived