Singing lots of words quickly is HARD!

grace_slick

• Members

Oh, thank you! lol

Sorry!! I totally forgot about your recording!! I have to make a phone call now, but will listen to it tomorrow and comment, ok?

(I didn't put all those recordings there out of ego, by the way. lol. Winosaur kept asking for it)

The thing with my voice is I don't WANT soothing! I want Grace Slick, Stevie Nicks, Heart...BAH! lol

Don't misconstrue what I am about to say, this is solely to assist you, not hurt you or put you down, k?

If you are going for a powerful female vocalist vibe, keep in mind that they don't use much head tone...Which is exactly what you are doing/using.

Take the first link for example, Tell me on a Sunday...

The very first word you sing "Don't" seems to be sung with a very soft, almost falsetto/headtone type of articulation...

Try singing don't, or just say the word, don't...

Now, say it louder. Add vibrato, but do not use the head tone...

keep at it until you can sing Don't without using falsetto, and try to increase the dynamics (sing louder)

• Members

Johnny actually hit the nail on the head. If you're really looking to sing in a rock and roll way without the operatic highs, just sing like you're talking, but do it with volume. Be informal about it, too. Exaggerate a bit. That'll probably help. Everything should follow some consistent practice.

Your voice didn't sound exactly like that girls, but I think it'd be great if you could go from a soft, soothing croon to a thunderous rock voice.

Wait, you're thinking along the lines of Ann Wilson, right?

• Members

Yep, Ann. I love certain parts of her voice. Not so much recently, as her voice is a hell of a lot lower than it used to be. But she interests me as on songs such as Dreamboat Annie, How Deep it Goes, Magic Man, etc, it's quite a sweet young-sounding voice, and then I LOVE how on stuff like Lighter Touch and Mistral Wind and Alone (which is later than the other stuff), it's more powerful and rock-y...that's what I want. The light and shade. But I need the power behind even the soft stuff, you know?

• Members

Hmm. Interesting. I think for me it's either low falsetto or just all head voice. I don't even know how to sing any sort of proper chest voice you know? Ugh. This is why I need lessons, con sarn it!

I'll try to explain.

With every different way of singing, there are different baselines for each

that you can sing for each style you do...

When you said the word "Don't" in your mp3 post, you did so quietly

as not to exceed a certain decibel level.

Try to *say* the word Don't as you would just casually talking.

Add *volume* to it. As it were, I doubt you use falsetto to speak.

I have to make a substantial effort in order to sing falsetto from my normal singing voice, -my baseline for singing.

It seems to me you have a shyness of singing and it may very well have translated into your current method of (singing)

So try to pretend to be an opera singer, (funny I know) but sing

Feeee Ga Row, in an alto range not soprano, and emphasize volume.

Add vibrato, which is just some modulation added to your voice

Do not use falsetto. Just extend your current vocals with some controlled pitch resonating from that *baseline* I spoke of.

• Members

Yes, I do have a shyness and I hate it. It sometimes is there when speaking to people I’m not comfortable with as well. I NEVER use falsetto when speaking, as you say (some people do though. It sounds quite odd and funny but it’s just their normal voice. Lol), but sometimes I talk and I can feel I’m talking in the same “method” as I sing in most of the time, in that I just can’t relax my voice and let it go, and talk/sing normally. When I’m relaxed and talking, it’s all good and for a while now, ever since I became aware of it, I’ve been trying to sing in that same way.

Archived