g&l neck?

rambler1959

• Members

i wasnt planning on throwing it out. the bands tech walked up to me with it and told me to get rid of it, said he never wanted to see it again. i figure the active electronics are {censored}ed (one switch already missing and the others bent and dont move) so i was just gonna rewire the whole thing passive instead. that way i wont have to worry about a battery either. i just need a neck.

• Members

hello all. ive got a g&l body that a band was going to throw away, would a fender replacement neck fit onto it, or do i have to find a 6 bolt g&l neck? i want to put it back together and make it work. i believe it is a L-2000

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_gnl.htm

Just ask Ed Roman! :D

(in short, the answer is no)

"Upon trying to make the necks interchange I discovered, the G&L neck was totally different from the Fender that we were intending to use the neck on. Up until that time I had thought that G&L guitars were the same as Fenders.For these reasons I hereby rescind any positive recommendations I have made regarding G&L instruments."

:D

Yeah, and I always thought necks on Stingrays and P-Basses were interchangeable. :rolleyes:

• Members

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_gnl.htm

Just ask Ed Roman!

(in short, the answer is no)

"Upon trying to make the necks interchange I discovered, the G&L neck was totally different from the Fender that we were intending to use the neck on.
Up until that time I had thought that G&L guitars were the same as Fenders.
For these reasons I hereby rescind any positive recommendations I have made regarding G&L instruments."

Yeah, and I always thought necks on Stingrays and P-Basses were interchangeable.
:rolleyes:

hmm that seems to have been on a guitar, i wonder if the bass would be the same. maybe i should just take the neck off my squire and see if that works (although i love that pbass and would hate for it to get messed up in any way. that thing sounds beautiful)

• Members

Moses makes a neck sub for G&L, but I'm sure it's quite pricey.

well since the rest of it was free so far, it might not be too bad of a deal. is there a website for this Moses co.?

i took the neck off my p and put it in place with the g&l body and the scale length was only 33 1/2 inches. doesent seem like a fender replacement will work.

• Members

after seeing the prices on those moses necks i have decided they are too expensive.

i did however get in contact with g&l and they said i would have to take the body to them so that they can fit the neck to it, they also asked for what i wanted in regards to wood and hardware so that they can give me a more acurate quote. pretty cool... i told them all i need is a bassic maple neck with maple fret board, black dot indicators, a nut, and a price for with or with out tuners.

• Members

know about the different configs?

I'm thinking if it's cut to fit by g&l anyway, may as well ask about the sizes

(the following is from the buffalo bros site)

# 5 neck - 7.5" radius, 1-3/4" nut

# 6 neck - 7.5" radius, 1-1/2" nut (Jazz bass feel)

# 7 neck - 12" radius, 1-3/4" nut

# 8 neck - 12" radius, 1-1/2" nut

maple fretboard and satin finish on the back are no extra charge, but they have other options for a price

their ultralite tuners used on the mia's are 'ok' imo, not my favorites (which are schallers, and might also be available for a price)

I believe the #6 neck is most common on the L-2000, though the #8 might be one that gets used here and there, not sure

I'd love to try the #7 based on the dimensions, but both of mine have the #6 as their stock neck

• Members

Speaking of G&L necks, how can you tell the radius of the neck? is the 12" radius flatter feeling than the 7.5"? (in layman's terms I guess...)

My L-2000 has either an #8 or #6 neck.. Its fretboard is bound too.
:eek:

12" is a flatter, more "modern" feel. The ASAT comes with a #8 standard.

Rambler, the G&L Jazz style necks (numbers 6 and 8) a a tad bit deeper front to back than the standard Jazz and simply a joy to play.

• 11 months later...

Archived