Traditions like this are why I love Baseball

King Kashue

• Members

Wow!....

King Kashue was wrong about something.........................

....Im marking this day on my calendar............
:p

;):D

As I've said many times...I'm often wrong...I just don't usually say anything unless I'm pretty sure I'm right. ;)

My rate of correctitude (that's right, I'm inventing a word) is merely a well crafted illusion :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Which is exactly how it should be.
:D

And at least Giambi admitted to knowing what it was. He didn't try to pass it off as flaxseed oil and arthritis balm
:rolleyes:

And yes, Bonds is amazing, which is why it's even worse that he's so blatantly cheated. He was a hall of famer without the juice, the roids just put a nasty taint over everything he's done. Instead of being remembered as unequivocally one of the absolute greats, he'll join several other glandular mutants as examples of everything wrong with Baseball in his period...

I'm going to take the unusual position of defending Barry. :D

If you were in his shoes, and you saw Mac and Sosa doing their thing in 1998, would you consider it? Then, when your new collective bargaining agreement says you can't do it, but won't be outed if you do, would you continue?

• Members
However, ground rule double is accepted idiomatic usage, just as much a part of the jargon as "Foul Pole" (which is in fair territory
)

While "ground rule double" may indeed be "accepted idiomatic usage", "Foul Pole" is specifically mentioned in rule 1.04, and in rule 2.00 Definitions, under both "Fair Ball" and "Foul Ball".

• Members
While "ground rule double" may indeed be "accepted idiomatic usage", "Foul Pole" is specifically mentioned in rule 1.04, and in rule 2.00 Definitions, under both "Fair Ball" and "Foul Ball".

It's a "Fair Pole." Everyone knows that. :D

"And why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?"

- Randy Myers

• Members
It's a "Fair Pole." Everyone knows that.

"And why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?"

- Randy Myers

Jim Palmer often makes reference to the "Fair Pole", along with other inanities such as "foul tip in the dirt" and worrying about the position of a fielder's feet when making a catch near the foul line.

The answer to the driveway/parkway question is simple, but not very funny.

• CMS Author

I like Baseball, I've been to a game at Yankee Stadium, and I'm not trying to be smart ( I like Cricket - you can have a go at it) ,but when it comes to Baseball:

1. when you go to a game, is the percentage of good play (and I'm talking big hits, home runs) that good?

2. when you go to a game, is the 'experience' more then what actaully happens

3. is the whole stats and game history talk actually bigger than the game itslef?

Please, I'm not having fun, just trying to figure out the baseball thing, like you would with cricket

(p.s. - don't bag cricket if you haven't been to a game or understand it...I've been to a Baseball game, and know the rules)

1. I'm not sure what you're asking here.

2. It can be. Those who love baseball probably grew up with the game, and the traditions were passed down by coaches and dads and big brothers. For me, hell yeah, walking through the tunnel and out into the seats at Yankee Stadium for my first game was an epiphany. No patch of grass was ever as perfect. You could taste the exitement. And hearing a really big crowd in a tight game. Holy {censored}. Pure magic. And if you were at The Stadium, of course you heard Frankie sing "NY, NY" at the end.

3. Hell no. It's something to occupy one's time until and between games.

• Members

I'm going to take the unusual position of defending Barry.

If you were in his shoes, and you saw Mac and Sosa doing their thing in 1998, would you consider it? Then, when your new collective bargaining agreement says you can't do it, but won't be outed if you do, would you continue?

Would I, as the person that I am right now? No, I'd make the same choice Junior Griffey did, not cheat (and watch my production fall, but know I did it cleanly)...

Would I, as Barry Bonds, a miserable fellow (by all accounts from college on) who was already one of the best (if not the best) player of his generation, but got nowhere near the recognition he should have? I don't know.

It's not that I don't understand Barry's decision, I'm just sorry for the game...He truly was one of the best in history, without the juice. Now everything he did from 98 onwards comes under this cloud...And instead of being an example of greatness, he's an example of how cheating and deceit touches even the great...And that makes me sad for the game...

• Members

Barry's going to break the record and everyone but Giants fans will be pretty pissed off about it. I'm reminded though that nobody was screaming when McGuire broke Maris's record. It was pretty widely known that he was juicing too. Were you happy then?

Other than the fact they sucked last year and they got zito and barry's deal, i am not much a giants fan, Im still an A's fan

• Members

Barry's going to break the record and everyone but Giants fans will be pretty pissed off about it. I'm reminded though that nobody was screaming when McGuire broke Maris's record. It was pretty widely known that he was juicing too. Were you happy then?

I was... I was hoping Griffey was going to win that homerun race, but McGuire ended up dominating.

• Members
1. I'm not sure what you're asking here.

2. It can be. Those who love baseball probably grew up with the game, and the traditions were passed down by coaches and dads and big brothers. For me, hell yeah, walking through the tunnel and out into the seats at Yankee Stadium for my first game was an epiphany. No patch of grass was ever as perfect. You could taste the exitement. And hearing a really big crowd in a tight game. Holy {censored}. Pure magic. And if you were at The Stadium, of course you heard Frankie sing "NY, NY" at the end.

3. Hell no. It's something to occupy one's time until and between games.

+1 :thu:

Mr. Matt

• Members
Jim Palmer often makes reference to the "Fair Pole", along with other inanities such as "foul tip in the dirt" and worrying about the position of a fielder's feet when making a catch near the foul line.

The answer to the driveway/parkway question is simple, but not very funny.

Could it be possible (or plainly obvious) that my question was rhetorical? :D

• Members

Other than the fact they sucked last year and they got zito and barry's deal, i am not much a giants fan, Im still an A's fan

So's my brother. I keep updated with all of the A's stuff from talking to him, he keeps up on the G's stuff from talking to me. I'm constantly blown away with how the A's field a quality team year over year with their budget. Their farm system is amazing.

• Members

He broke the record with his second homer of 1974...That wasn't the year he was chasing it.

1973 is the year he was chasing and closing in, and as you note, he walked 68 times, and had a .402 Obp.

I was thinking that as I was doing the math. He was, like, 2 HR's away from the record going into the '74 season. I'm not saying that walking him was frowned upon or it wasn't, I just think that it's pretty weird that he was walked so few times in the same year that he broke the record.

Archived