Traditions like this are why I love Baseball

King Kashue

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe we should set up a HCBF meeting next year that coincides w/ spring training. Now that would be excellent.

That'd be fun. I've always wanted to go to spring training. It's so nice in Az this time of year while it's freezing and horribly cold here.

• Members
What's interesting to me is that there are number of teams, mostly in the West, that have the top-to-bottom pitching of championship calibre, but yet can't win because they can't score. I'm talking about the the Angels and the Padres, mostly. The A's can hit, but lack power. And now, if Bochy works his magic, the Giants might belong in that group.

So, if pitching is soooo valuable, why can't these teams trade a little of it for a little more offense?

The G's have never been very good at small ball but, looking at their lineup now, I don't think that they have too many other options. Again, I think it'll all come down to Bochy. He seems to have the ability to get a lot of mileage out of not a lot of talent, we'll see. That's a pretty interesting observation, I'll have to use it one day when I want to appear smart. :D

And I'm with you on the pitching thing. The G's have a some pretty scary prospects in Fresno, it'll be interesting to see what they do with them.

You know, I used to be totally up on what was happening around the league, I love baseball season but life has taken me away from it. Gotta do something about that. You doing anything when the Pad's come into town? ;)

• Members

I can't watch baseball without falling asleep. (seriously I don't hate it, it acts like a sedative)

People seem to get too worked up over it, but for whatever reason.. if i can't sleep and there's a game on, I turn on my TV and I'm out in like 3 minutes tops.

• Members

OK - gang. I've never done this before but keep a weekend open next year about this time. We'll do a spring training/HCBF weekend. I'll put a reminder on my calendar in Nov. to start organizing it. We can set a date with advance notice to insure access to inexpenive flights and rooms.

If you want to have a good player put on a clinic, we can talk to someone like Ray Riendeau is available. If you don't know Ray, he played for Rob Halford (Judas Priest) as a member of Halford.

Maybe we can incorporate some silliness - go in mass over to the Guitar Center and "test* several basses and amp at the sametime... make a little music. We can do a Saturday night out at a local BluesClub, etc.

The only difficulty will be if I move to another job/state - which is always a possibility but even then, I can help organize this.

Anyone else want to volunteer to help run the event?

• Members

Here's another anti-Bonds statement.

That man owns the plate. He sits all over it and if you pitch him inside, what does he do. He takes the pitch off his armor.

I'd like to see him take that armor back to 1968 and get in the batter's box vs. Bob Gibson or go back further and face Don Drysdale. Back then if a hitter had the balls to hover all over the plate he was getting thrown at. And. If he did it again, he got hit in the head. But. Now you can't do that {censored}.

And. Players coming up can't wear that kind of protection. But. Somehow Barry got his grand-fathered in.

So. Let's sum up. He takes illegal drugs, wears protection, and is an all around prick. Gee. And. He wonders why people say they "hate" him.

• Members

Barry's going to break the record and everyone but Giants fans will be pretty pissed off about it. I'm reminded though that nobody was screaming when McGuire broke Maris's record. It was pretty widely known that he was juicing too. Were you happy then?

IMNSHO Maris' record was not broken and it never will be.

Neither was Ruth's. He did his in less games as I recall.

Same will be for Hank's.

At least not by those cheating scumbags. I consider them cheats to the game and to themselves. The ultimate lie.

• Members
The G's have never been very good at small ball but, looking at their lineup now, I don't think that they have too many other options. Again, I think it'll all come down to Bochy. He seems to have the ability to get a lot of mileage out of not a lot of talent, we'll see. That's a pretty interesting observation, I'll have to use it one day when I want to appear smart.
:D

And I'm with you on the pitching thing. The G's have a some pretty scary prospects in Fresno, it'll be interesting to see what they do with them.

You know, I used to be totally up on what was happening around the league, I love baseball season but life has taken me away from it. Gotta do something about that. You doing anything when the Pad's come into town?
;)

Opening Day, huh? Probably watch the series on the tube.:D

Dave Roberts will help with your small ball, too. I don't follow too closely, but at this time of year, I do a little research. Lots of buzz right now about RHP Tim Lincecum. He'll likely be in the rotation by August, if not sooner.

For my Pads, imo, they've got a Cy Young contender, and his name isn't Peavy. It's Chris Young. Dude allowed opponents to a league-best .206 BA last year.

• Members

I can't watch baseball without falling asleep. (seriously I don't hate it, it acts like a sedative)

People seem to get too worked up over it, but for whatever reason.. if i can't sleep and there's a game on, I turn on my TV and I'm out in like 3 minutes tops.

I know what you mean. Really. I love to watch baseball, but I also love to nap when a game is on the tube.

It's really the "game within the game" that makes baseball exciting to me. I'm sure soccer and hockey fans can understand that a lot is happening that doesn't involve scoring.

• Members
Here's another anti-Bonds statement.

That man owns the plate. He sits all over it and if you pitch him inside, what does he do. He takes the pitch off his armor.

I'd like to see him take that armor back to 1968 and get in the batter's box vs. Bob Gibson or go back further and face Don Drysdale. Back then if a hitter had the balls to hover all over the plate he was getting thrown at. And. If he did it again, he got hit in the head. But. Now you can't do that {censored}.

And. Players coming up can't wear that kind of protection. But. Somehow Barry got his grand-fathered in.

So. Let's sum up. He takes illegal drugs, wears protection, and is an all around prick. Gee. And. He wonders why people say they "hate" him.

I fully agree. That armor should never have been allowed. It's used to be that the pitcher owned the outer half of the plate, and the batter owned the inner half.

But... pitchers have also forgotten how to throw inside. Of course, when they do, guys like Manny Ramirez go into a rage. His head is almost directly over the plate! You better expect some chin music, Manny! That's why I like Pedro and his agressiveness. Pitchers HAVE to throw inside.

Drysdale was asked if he'd throw at his own mother: "Only if she was digging in." :D

• Members

But... pitchers have also forgotten how to throw inside. Of course, when they do, guys like Manny Ramirez go into a rage. His head is almost directly over the plate! You better expect some chin music, Manny! That's why I like Pedro and his agressiveness. Pitchers HAVE to throw inside.

Huge +1. Brushing players off the plate used to be part of the game. Now, you can get kicked out of the game for intentionally beaning someone. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to get hit, respect the pitchers arm and don't get too comfy at the plate.

• Members

I've been going to Spring Training in FLA for years....it's a true baseball fans way to do it! Funny, I rarely go to a 'real' game in season! Strange I know.....I do see a coupla games each year in Philadelphia but, Spring Training is where it's at! Real tradition.

• Members
There were also half as many teams. That kind of negates the half the competition argument. I think common wisdom hold pitching today to be more sketchy than in the Babes day. There are about 350 major league pitchers today compared to about 100 in 1920.

I don't find that to be the consensus among any of the huge baseball geeks I know. There are more pitchers, but the draw is now from well over a dozen countries, and the "half as many teams = same competition" is bull crap. Ruth faced pitchers (that as Emprov noted) pitched more innings, more often, and there was no relief pitching.

That's the huge equalizer. Ruth was facing a tired starter in the 9th inning, modern players are facing a daisy-fresh Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman.

Are you talking about the ball bouncing over the outfield wall?

Sorry it is one of my baseball pet peeves. That is not a ground rule double. It is best described as a book rule double. It is common to all Major League stadiums. Ground rules are ones specific to a particular ballpark due to variations in individual fields. I know is is common to use this phrase but it is incorrect.
:blah:

Mini-rant over.

Carry on.

The term is an "automatic double", MLB Rulebook, 6.09 (yes, I own the MLB rulebook, I told you I was a baseball geek :D)

However, ground rule double is accepted idiomatic usage, just as much a part of the jargon as "Foul Pole" (which is in fair territory :D)

• Members
Man, pretty cool stuff! If you look at the season that Aaron broke the record, 1974 if my math is correct, he had 340 AB's and was walked only 39 times, or every 8.27 trips to the plate. Man, Bonds gets beaned more times than that in a season! Anyway, contrast his '74 ratio with his '73 (5.76) or '74 (4.88), or even the year after he broke the record, (6.64). Then again, by '75 is seems that his production had slipped quite a bit so it makes sense that he'd have fewer walks. Anyway, a black guy is zeroing in on the Babes all time HR record and he just so happens to have the highest AB/BB ratio of any recent years? Doesn't seem quite right, especially given the era in which he played.

He broke the record with his second homer of 1974...That wasn't the year he was chasing it.

1973 is the year he was chasing and closing in, and as you note, he walked 68 times, and had a .402 Obp.

That kind of stuff. He went over a few brief exercises on the news one day and a few of them are pretty crazy, you wouldn't guess that they had anything whatsoever to do with baseball.

I suspect there's a reason why they seem to have nothing to do with baseball :D

• Members
I don't care what Bonds does statistically. I really don't. I enjoy watching him hit, though. His bat speed, selection, and plate coverage are astonishing.

FYI, KK, Giambi has also admitted to using the clear and cream, iirc. Oh, and next year, football players won't be Pro Bowl eligible if testing positive. We can call it the Merriman rule.
:D

Which is exactly how it should be. :D

And at least Giambi admitted to knowing what it was. He didn't try to pass it off as flaxseed oil and arthritis balm :rolleyes:

And yes, Bonds is amazing, which is why it's even worse that he's so blatantly cheated. He was a hall of famer without the juice, the roids just put a nasty taint over everything he's done. Instead of being remembered as unequivocally one of the absolute greats, he'll join several other glandular mutants as examples of everything wrong with Baseball in his period...

• Members

Just got home from work and found this thread still going! Very cool! :thu:

I coached a kid in T-ball (along with my son) and then I got into umpiring and watched the two of them playing the city-leagues and summer-leagues. My son didn't fully develop as a baseball player as I had hoped (but, kids never do, do they?), but the other kid was outstanding. He took his scholarship into college and now flip-flops between Corpus Christi and Round Rock, Texas, with the Astro's farm organization. I really hope he makes it.

I love baseball! Always have, always will. I do not study the stats to know offhand who the best left-handed batter off a right-handed, side-armed pitcher on a Tuesday in October would be. I just enjoy the game and the strategy that goes on with it. Records are made to be broken - no matter if I "accept" it or not. They will be broken, anyway. With an asterisk or not, records will be broken.

Bonds is exciting to watch. They break into the "Game of the Week" whenever he comes to bat. Few athletes have that distinction and that close scrutiny. If Bonds had hit "only" 500 homers :rolleyes: , I don't think people would be discussing whether or not he was juiced - they probably wouldn't care. But, I also think that whoever gets near the record will be studied intensely - perhaps too much.

Is he the best ever? Not in my mind. Is he the best right now? Probably. He has been the guy to watch for several years now, the first $6 million man in baseball. People hate him, but they really LOVE to hate him. He sells lots of tickets at home and away. I have seen him in the past and I would love to see him again - regardless of whether I think he is doped up or not.

• Members

The batter becomes a runner when --
(a) He hits a fair ball;
(b) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out;
Rule 6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate.
© A fair ball, after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or after having been touched by a fielder, including the pitcher, shall touch an umpire or runner on fair territory;
(d) A fair ball passes over a fence or into the stands at a distance from home base of 250 feet or more. Such hit entitles the batter to a home run when he shall have touched all bases legally. A fair fly ball that passes out of the playing field at a point less than 250 feet from home base shall entitle the batter to advance to second base only;
(e) A fair ball, after touching the ground, bounds into the stands, or passes through, over or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to advance two bases;
(f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the fence or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, or which sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to two bases;
(g) Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases;
(h) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

I do not see the words "automatic" or "double" in rule 6.09.:confused:

I have herd the phrase "book rule double" exactly one time. It was used by an anouncer during a Pirates/Astros game in Pitt.

I prefer to just call it a double, which is what happens when the batter is awarded two bases.

Oh, by the way, here is my source. If yours uses the two words in question please let me know. I hate correcting people just to be corrected so if you can help me cover my bases I would be greatly appreciative. :wave:

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/foreword.jsp

Archived