Traditions like this are why I love Baseball

King Kashue

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Barry Zito: 2 scoreless innings pitched, giving up only one hit.

Russ Ortiz: 3 perfect innings with 3 strikeouts and a base clearing 3 run double.

I'm a happy guy so far.
:thu:

When you say "Barry Bonds retired, admitting his steroid use, and stated he will never break Hank Aaron's record, out of respect for the game", then I'll be a happy man :(

• Members

When you say "Barry Bonds retired, admitting his steroid use, and stated he will never break Hank Aaron's record, out of respect for the game", then I'll be a happy man
:(

Barry's going to break the record and everyone but Giants fans will be pretty pissed off about it. I'm reminded though that nobody was screaming when McGuire broke Maris's record. It was pretty widely known that he was juicing too. Were you happy then?

• Members

When you say "Barry Bonds retired, admitting his steroid use, and stated he will never break Hank Aaron's record, out of respect for the game", then I'll be a happy man
:(

I'll be a happy man when I show up at Tropicana Field with the majority of people rooting for the home team.............. :(

• Members

Barry's going to break the record and everyone but Giants fans will be pretty pissed off about it. I'm reminded though that nobody was screaming when McGuire broke Maris's record. It was pretty widely known that he was juicing too. Were you happy then?

Nope...I figured both he and Sosa were Juicing.

Anyhoo, it wasn't against the rules then, and it is now (and anyone who thinks he's stopped is fooling themselves)...Plus, Barry's the only one who's admitted it (though he said he didn't know what it was...Same excuse when he tested positive for amphetamines this year...Evidently the guy just picks up random objects and ingests them)...

And there's honestly no comparison in my mind between Maris's record and Aarons. Maris had guys booing him, Aaron received regular death threats. Maris was a one-season wonder, Aaron had a career's worth of greatness.

And for Barry, an admitted cheater and miserable churl of a human to be the one to break it, that's just insult to injury.

At least A-Rod will break the record in around 2014 or so...

• Members

And there's honestly no comparison in my mind between Maris's record and Aarons. Maris had guys booing him, Aaron received regular death threats. Maris was a one-season wonder, Aaron had a career's worth of greatness.

Didja know that, back when Ruth was playing, what is a standup double today, (ball bounces over the fence), was counted as a HR? I think that greatness is subjective but, if you feel that hitting a bouncing ball over the fence off of a pitcher in the late innings who's got a overworked arm, all while nursing a pending hangover is greatness then....

:p

• Members

Didja know that, back when Ruth was playing, what is a standup double today, (ball bounces over the fence), was counted as a HR? I think that greatness is subjective but, if you feel that hitting a bouncing ball over the fence off of a pitcher in the late innings who's got a overworked arm, all while nursing a pending hangover is greatness then....

Back then, baseballs were constructed different (the deadball era) and were a lot harder to hit, fences were also a little more distant. The fact that Ruth hit 60 of these in a year is amazing--Still, I don't care for Bonds for the simple fact that he doesn't represent all the "heroic" qualities I'd like to see in a player of that stature. Hes not a people person therefore should not be the face of the game. If a kid, who loves the Giants, buys MLB2Kwhatever for Playstation or X-Box, he can not call up Barry Bonds on his team because his likeness can not be in just any video game (it can but it is liscenced at a rediculously high fee)...What kind of hero is that?

• Members

Ruth also didn't play against Black players, so half the available competition wasn't allowed to face him...Which is why I argue against the people who say "you have to discount modern power numbers"...

And ground rule doubles came into effect in the AL after the 1929 season. Ruth hit just under 200 of his homers after the rule went into effect (and they're not that common anyway, especially in the days before artificial turf)

I still don't see how any of that means Aaron isn't great though :D

(or that Bonds numbers are somehow legit. He averaged 51.6 homers in the five seasons from 35-40, after averaging 36.1 in the previous 10 seasons...People don't do that)

• Members

Back then, baseballs were constructed different (the deadball era) and were a lot harder to hit, fences were also a little more distant. The fact that Ruth hit 60 of these in a year is amazing

A note, the dead ball era stopped in 1920, which, not surprisingly, is the year that Ruth shattered the single season home run record by hitting 54 homers (breaking his own record of 29)...

• Members

I like Baseball, I've been to a game at Yankee Stadium, and I'm not trying to be smart ( I like Cricket - you can have a go at it) ,but when it comes to Baseball:

1. when you go to a game, is the percentage of good play (and I'm talking big hits, home runs) that good?

2. when you go to a game, is the 'experience' more then what actaully happens

3. is the whole stats and game history talk actually bigger than the game itslef?

Please, I'm not having fun, just trying to figure out the baseball thing, like you would with cricket

(p.s. - don't bag cricket if you haven't been to a game or understand it...I've been to a Baseball game, and know the rules)

• Members

I still don't see how any of that means Aaron isn't great though
:D

My dad will swear up and down that pitchers weren't allowed to walk Aaron when he was making his run at the record. I've tried to confirm or refute this but all of my efforts have fallen short. Have you ever heard anything like this? BTW, Aaron's numbers are pretty amazing, he sounds kind of freakish to me in some recent interviews that I've seen though.I don't really remember him as a player though and I've seen Bonds for a number of years. I don't exactly have to world's best perspective in this issue.

As far as Bond's numbers are concerned, I've heard in several interviews that, as he realized that he was getting up there in years, he added a lot of elements into his training that have improved his ability to more properly gauge the path of the ball as it traveled from the pitcher's hand to the box. He says that he's gotten some pretty good advice about this stuff from his God-father, (Mays), his dad when he was alive and Willie Mac, not a bad trio! He's always had a lightning quick swing and being able to more accurately predict where the ball was going to be at contact has made a huge difference, or so he claims.

I just read my post before hitting submit and it reads like a 3rd grader wrote it. I'm way too tired to go back over it though. I've had a long day and my wife went to bed a half hour ago. Nighty night.

• Members

My dad will swear up and down that pitchers weren't allowed to walk Aaron when he was making his run at the record. I've tried to confirm or refute this but all of my efforts have fallen short. Have you ever heard anything like this?

Elias Sports Bureau says it's nonsense, and they know everything about stats (literally, the stuff they come up with is nutso)

As far as Bond's numbers are concerned, I've heard in several interviews that, as he realized that he was getting up there in years, he added a lot of elements into his training that have improved his ability to more properly gauge the path of the ball as it traveled from the pitcher's hand to the box. He says that he's gotten some pretty good advice about this stuff from his God-father, (Mays), his dad when he was alive and Willie Mac, not a bad trio! He's always had a lightning quick swing and being able to more accurately predict where the ball was going to be at contact has made a huge difference, or so he claims.

Yeah, he also claims that he thought he was using flaxseed oil and arthritis balm instead of the clear and the cream...He also claims the amphetamines he took were a "nutritional supplement" from a fellow player's locker (a claim he retracted when the teammate had the gall to say "no it wasn't")

Which is more likely? That his performance is a result of the steroids which he admits to having used and the drugs for which he's tested positive? Or that he has figured out some magical insight into the physics of pitching that no one else has figured out (and which he can't specifically describe)?

I know what seems more likely to me :D

(And he claims Bobby Bonds gave him advice on how not to strike out? That alone should raise red flags :D)

• Members

And ground rule doubles came into effect in the AL after the 1929 season.

Are you talking about the ball bouncing over the outfield wall?

Sorry it is one of my baseball pet peeves. That is not a ground rule double. It is best described as a book rule double. It is common to all Major League stadiums. Ground rules are ones specific to a particular ballpark due to variations in individual fields. I know is is common to use this phrase but it is incorrect.:blah:

Mini-rant over.

Carry on.

• Members

No I wasn't happy then. And I wasn't happy when Roger Marris beat the

Babe due to the 164 game schedule vs 148 game schedule. I was only 7 yrs old at the time, but I remember my father and I at a Yankee's/Orioles game jeering and rooting against him.

• Members

You've got a point, but don't forget to also factor in the time he spent playing in the "dead ball" era, when Frank Baker's altime Home Run record for a season was 29. And he was a pitcher early in his career too and didn't play every day.

• Members

Which is more likely? That his performance is a result of the steroids which he
admits
to having used and the drugs for which he's tested positive? Or that he has figured out some magical insight into the physics of pitching that no one else has figured out (and which he can't specifically describe)?

Not physics of pitching, being able to more properly gauge the location of the ball as it crosses the plate. For example. If someone puts, say, a baseball in mid air 40 ft away from you, how successful will you be at guessing how high it is in relation to your body? And, where it will be, in relation to your body, when it crosses the plate at 90mph? That kind of stuff. He went over a few brief exercises on the news one day and a few of them are pretty crazy, you wouldn't guess that they had anything whatsoever to do with baseball.

• Members

Got a friend back home whose son will be playing rookie ball for the Giants. He arrived in town yesterday so my wife and I will be keeping an eye out of his - surrogate aunt and uncle - if you will. I'm excited about spending some time with the young man. His parents, whom I haven't seen in 30-years, will be out in a few weeks and I'm excited to see them also.

He hit almost 350 in the instructional league last year but with no real power yet. I'm hoping he can do better and step on up. He was a huge contributor for Univ. of AL and we're all hoping that he can make the next step.

I grew up watching Hank, Dusty and Darrel Evans play for Atlanta. Good times.

• Members

I'm heading out to Arizona two weeks from today! Can't wait. 4 games in 3 days. My bros and I have done this for 6 years running now, and there's nothing like warm sunshine, beer, babes, and, oh yeah, baseball in March. And those ASU bars! Woohoo! :thu:

I don't care what Bonds does statistically. I really don't. I enjoy watching him hit, though. His bat speed, selection, and plate coverage are astonishing.

FYI, KK, Giambi has also admitted to using the clear and cream, iirc. Oh, and next year, football players won't be Pro Bowl eligible if testing positive. We can call it the Merriman rule. :D

Hey Emprov, I wouldn't feel cozy with Benitez as my closer. That Raider myopia might be contagious, because some Giants fans believe they'll win 84+ games this year. Great starting rotation, and better leadoff/speed, but it's still an old team, and without an Moises Alou-type player to hit behind Bonds (Ray Durham had a great 06 but he ain't the guy), I can't see the Giants doing better than .500. My guess is Brian Wilson or someone else will be closing by June.

The Padres, AGAIN, get no respect from the prognosticaters. Dodgers, shmogers! They have no one in their lineup that worries pitchers. (Of course, they led the league in runs last year, I'm just becoming myopic myself. :D

As usual, injuries will play a huge role in determining a team's success this year.

• Members

Hey Emprov, I wouldn't feel cozy with Benitez as my closer. That Raider myopia might be contagious, because some Giants fans believe they'll win 84+ games this year. Great starting rotation, and better leadoff/speed, but it's still an old team, and without an Moises Alou-type player to hit behind Bonds (Ray Durham had a great 06 but he ain't the guy), I can't see the Giants doing better than .500. My guess is Brian Wilson or someone else will be closing by June.

The Padres, AGAIN, get no respect from the prognosticaters. Dodgers, shmogers! They have no one in their lineup that worries pitchers. (Of course, they led the league in runs last year, I'm just becoming myopic myself.
:D

First of all, you suck for going to Arizona, I'm totally jealous. I've wanted to do that for a long time but, you know how life goes. And the Giants? Well, they haven't done much to address the issue of run production and Bonds will be darn near be totally without protection. Thinking about it, he hasn't had very good protection since they let Kent go. I don't see that they'll be as good offensively as they were even last year, and that was pretty sad compared to what they've done in previous years. I do feel pretty good about their starting rotation though and they did get Ty Walker back to help in the middle innings. Hopefully he'll be available in the Summer, haven't looked at their relief too much beyond that though. Then there's Benitez. You gotta admit, he's shown flashes of brilliance. I mean, the way he composes himself as he watches the balls fly over the fence -- you can't coach that stuff, he's a natural. I'll be really interested in watching Bochy and seeing what kind of impact he'll have on the team. Crossing my fingers but I'm not expecting too much.

• Members

First of all, you suck for going to Arizona, I'm totally jealous. I've wanted to do that for a long time but, you know how life goes. And the Giants? Well, they haven't done much to address the issue of run production and Bonds will be darn near be totally without protection. Thinking about it, he hasn't had very good protection since they let Kent go. I don't see that they'll be as good offensively as they were even last year, and that was pretty sad compared to what they've done in previous years. I do feel pretty good about their starting rotation though and they did get Ty Walker back to help in the middle innings. Hopefully he'll be available in the Summer, haven't looked at their relief too much beyond that though. Then there's Benitez. You gotta admit, he's shown flashes of brilliance. I mean, the way he composes himself as he watches the balls fly over the fence -- you can't coach that stuff, he's a natural. I'll be really interested in watching Bochy and seeing what kind of impact he'll have on the team. Crossing my fingers but I'm not expecting too much.

Bochy knows how to use pitchers, so you've got that going for you. I'm jealous of you for having him, as I've always liked him.

What's interesting to me is that there are number of teams, mostly in the West, that have the top-to-bottom pitching of championship calibre, but yet can't win because they can't score. I'm talking about the the Angels and the Padres, mostly. The A's can hit, but lack power. And now, if Bochy works his magic, the Giants might belong in that group.

So, if pitching is soooo valuable, why can't these teams trade a little of it for a little more offense?

Archived