bass stack as a music amp?

REMUS

• Members

Ok so I was noodleing around on my Sound City with the peavey 2x10, and I thought "hmm wonder what my carlsbro stack sounds like through my laptop?"

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

The tone took a while to dial in for it to sound pleaseing, but god damn is it loud! I barely have to turn it to 1 on the main volume, with the current eq and gain and it's almost too loud! The quality is soso, but certainly better or as good as the average $300-400 hi-fi. And christ, the opening scene on saving private ryan... I nearly crapped my pants lol!!!

So i've set it up as a sound system for the TV and to plug our laptops into while it lies dormant waiting for our next gig, since the peaveys 350w rms handleing is fine for practice. Lays waste to people saying you get a crap tone out of them for music, but I wouldn't want to put the signal through my 120R... not sure how it would handle it :confused:

If you don't have a decent sound system, do it!

• Members

ahhhh i understand now (very tired), does using the fx return by pass the pre-amp then I take it?

on the back of my amp it states, "aux return" is that the same thing as fx return?

i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

• Members

The point is to NOT fry your preamp. FX return sounds like a good idea.

Good idea.

FWIW, I have used the headphone output on CD players, laptops, and home audio receivers as input to the pre-amp on my old Peavey and it still sounds fine.

But then, its a 25+ year old Peavey. Industrial strength stuff.:thu:

• CMS Author

You're going to fry your input. It's not meant to deal with line level signal.

If the signal chain is laptop-to-bass amp, even with a soundcard the maximum output would be 1Vrms or thereabouts. That's the same as an active bass output or the output from some effects pedals. It would be a good idea to use the 'active' input or engage the pad if available on the bass amp, but only to avoid overdriving the preamp. A well-designed and functioning preamp should never be damaged by this voltage.

Archived