Gotta kinda weird gig request...

Thunderbroom

• Members

We got a message via MySpace from an originals "country metal" band that is booked locally a week from today. According to their email, their support band bailed on them. They asked if we'd like to play.

For you locals, it's Good Times Pub in Elmhurst.

I followed up with them, and they want us to CLOSE the show with a 30 - 45 minute set. Shouldn't they close the show? This just seems a bit odd to me. We have a rehearsal scheduled next Friday night and are wondering if it's worth the effort to head over to the place to play such a short set. We've never played the place before, so I guess it's possible that we could get a gig out of the deal.

• Members

{censored} yeah, play that gig.

You get to use their sound and you get an opportunity to showcase your band in front of the bar owner at the end of the night without having to load in or out.

Just got the first "no" vote from the band.

Supposedly the place's owner suggested us to this band. Odd though that the owner has never asked us to play there.

• Members

We got a message via MySpace from an originals "country metal" band that is booked locally a week from today. According to their email, their support band bailed on them. They asked if we'd like to play.

For you locals, it's Good Times Pub in Elmhurst.

I followed up with them, and they want us to CLOSE the show with a 30 - 45 minute set. Shouldn't they close the show? This just seems a bit odd to me. We have a rehearsal scheduled next Friday night and are wondering if it's worth the effort to head over to the place to play such a short set. We've never played the place before, so I guess it's possible that we could get a gig out of the deal.

An original country metal band doesn't sound like something I would go to see.

How much are you getting paid?

Maybe you could do an acoustic set but the mealaheads wouldn't dig it.

I dunno.....

What do your other band members think about it?

If the weather out there is anything like it is here I wouldn't expect a big crowd.

Pt

• Members

Just got the first "no" vote from the band.

Supposedly the place's owner suggested us to this band. Odd though that the owner has never asked us to play there.

Maybe he's heard about you guys and wants to try you out on the cheap.

• Members

If it is a guaranteed hassle-free gig, where you just step in using their PA, backline, drums, etc., and you get to showcase your best material, then I'd say "why not?" But if there's any hassle at all, like having to set up and tear down, or can't use their drums, then I say "no way." For our band, we will not play less than 2 hours if we have to set up gear -- just not worth it.

• Members

We're debating (via email) what the payoff would be for the band would be. We have a rehearsal scheduled for that night. We're working on some new songs and have a gig on 3/23.

From the message I got from the band that wants us to play, the owner of the venue suggested us to them. If he's recommending us, why hasn't he tried to book us?!?

I still don't understand why they'd want us to close a show that they're apparently headlining. The only thing I can think is that they want us to bring the crowd to see them and then stay to see us. If we do the gig, we're not going to promote it.

And yes, we get to use any/all of their gear...drums...PA...lights...amps...whatever.

• Members

From the message I got from the band that wants us to play, the owner of the venue suggested us to them. If he's recommending us, why hasn't he tried to book us?!?

As I stated above: What is the chance of this clubowner using this oppurtunity as an audition?

• Members

We've been discussing this and see no real benefit of playing the gig. It's obvious to us now that we've thought about it that the club owner wants us to bring our crowd to see the opening band and then stay to see us.

I checked the club's website; they have quite a few dates open. If the owner is so interested in us, why hadn't he contacted us. I smell bull{censored}.

If he wants us to play there, we'll play an evening at an agreed upon price or we won't play there.

• Members

Hmmm...maybe we do this gig and have our folks show up at the start of our set.

:idea:

What's wrong with 'your' folks showing up and catching some of their show... It's not as if people can only like a single band at any given time... Instead of an 'our fans - their fans' type of thing, shouldn't we be looking for more of a 'live music fans' mindset?

Band fans can come and go, but live music fans are more durable... We double-up gigs all the time, and pretty much everytime we have seen returns on this approach... Plus, as others have said, it's a foot in the door to show your stuff...

-robert

Archived