Giant step toward adulthood!

SteveyDevey

• Members

I've made one of the last steps toward adulthood!

I just signed the lease to my first apartment. I decided I wanted to live alone before moving in with anyone (to the chagrin of my girlfriend). She's been cool about it after I explained myself.

I found a 2 bedroom place for a decent amount of money. Plus, it's only a block from my parents house. Moving has been easy so far. I haven't moved anything large, just tons of books, and 2 out of my 3 basses (plus my crazy amp).

Any good first-apartment advice?

• Members

pasta is your friend. As are any of the "helper" meals. I prefered the Tuna Helper ones.

plus one on the paying bills on time. also make sure that you write down anything that you notice in the apartment before you move in that could later cost you your security deposit

• Members

Take photos or video of any damage of the place before you move in. Preferably with your landlord in the picture. +2 to Paying your bills on time the penalty payments are killer. Diet shakes (even if you're not dieting) can help with nutritional needs for breakfast and lunch during tough times- financially. Most importantly, enjoy being on your own! You'll learn a lot about yourself in the next few months.:thu:

• Members

DO NOT LET ANYONE MOVE IN WITH YOU FOR ANY REASON FOR 1 FULL YEAR1!!!!11111!11

THIS MEANS GURLS! You need the time to develop yourself as a sole entity an figger yourself out full time before sharing your space with anything.

your basses are going to be trouble if you got adjoining walls.

• Members

Pay rent and bills on time.

Learn to cook.

Clean! especially when the parents are only a block away. They will most likely come over at the drop of a hat.

Don't let your Girlfriend move in. Ever. She comes over for dinner and a lay. There will be plenty of time to play house when you get married.

Don't let anyone else move in. Ever. Especially if it's a good friend. You will hate that person in 6 months and wish they were dead.

• Members

Don't let your Girlfriend move in. Ever. She comes over for dinner and a lay. There will be plenty of time to play house when you get married.

Don't let anyone else move in. Ever. Especially if it's a good friend. You will hate that person in 6 months and wish they were dead.

Sigh on the first one. That's true. I'm also an idiot.

And for the second one........I hate people. Especially when they don't flush.

• Members

Well, thanks for the good advice!

I'm still waiting on the landlord to get some of their furniture out, so I haven't moved all that much in. Just a few more boxes of house-stuff (toiletries, etc).

My parents came by with me today to drop some things off, and noticed I didn't have a microwave. I heard later in the day from my mom that they bought me one as a housewarming gift. :)

• Members

I wish I had had my own apartment back in the day, even for a short while. After university, I moved out of my parents house and to an apartment with my girlfriend/wife. Would have been nice to have my own place for a short while.

Still pass the building all the time. Only lived there for 9 months, but it was a great rite of passage nonetheless.

• Members

Beware of squatters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friends will tell you they need to a place to stay for a week or two and next thing you know their unemployed asses have been sleeping on your couch for 3-4 months eating all your food and drinking all your beer.

Do no let this happen! :mad:

• Members

I agree with the 'document any damage carefully before you move in' sentiment - make sure the real estate acknowledges this - give them a copy. I've had to let the real estate keep my bond in the past, cause they said things were in a better condition than they actually were.

congrats though.

wrt cooking - yes I think it's valid, but I have also found that pub counter meals are cheap. If you want to factor in your time to the cooking equation, it may be cheaper to eat at the pub or other similar cheap eat out. 1 good thing anout pub meals - meat and veg/salad - healthier than I'd cook if I had to! Got to resist drinking too much piss though!

"swig"

• Members

Learn to cook. Buy a crock pot, hot plate and a rice cooker and you're good to go.

Clean daily.

Pay the bills on time.

Buy your furniture used--except the mattress. :freak:

Commit to living single for one year. No roomies, no gfs, no pets. Get to know yourself and how you want to live first.

• Members

Congrats! Not letting your GF move in with you was a very wise decision. The quickest way for a guy to lose control of his home is to let a chick move in and stake her claim. The next thing he knows the house is full of her {censored} and the only personal space he has left is the garage. Trust me. There are advantages to being single. I can set up my table saw in the middle of the livingroom if I want and nobody says a {censored}ing word. ;)

Roomates suck, suck, suck! Avoid having them unless you have absolutely no other choice. Even if it means living in a smaller place in a less desirable area.

Furniture happens. Once friends and relatives learn that you're out on your own you may be surprised by the amount of stuff people want to get rid of. Yard sales are good places to pick up {censored} cheap that still has a few years of life left to it. DON'T BUY STUFF ON CREDIT!!! The quickest way to {censored} up your cash flow is by burying yourself in credit card debt. Work hard, budget and save up for things. Don't become a slave to the credit card companies.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

Pay your bills on time.

Cook every day...cook dishes that will leave you leftovers. Eat out ONLY on extra special occasions. Fast food and restaurant food will break the bank quickly.

So true dat. Not only the bills deal (which is a must), but the cooking thing.

For onr thing, you will learn to cook. Or, if you already cook, you will learn to cook better.

Then you can prepare a nice dinner with some nic atmosphere and invite your girl over. Trust me, it will impress her. Not only that you can pull it off, but that you thought of her and want to care for her this way. Then take her to town in both bedrooms and on the kitchen sink.

Seriously though, do buy yer own groceries and make your own food as much as possible. I read somewhere that people between the ages of 16 and 30 spend up to one-third of their leisure money on eating out. It's ridiculously expensive and most of it is either bad for you or just unnecessary. Save it for special occasions.

Oh, and if you want any solitude or peace, don't let it turn into a nightly party pad. I made that mistake with my first apartment and it's fun now and then, but when you get threatened with eviction for noise too many times or walk by your bathroom and complete strangers are in your shower {censored}ing, it gets pretty old...

Let people know they need to check with you before dropping in on you.

Have fun.

• Members
So true dat. Not only the bills deal (which is a must), but the cooking thing.

For onr thing, you will learn to cook. Or, if you already cook, you will learn to cook better.

Then you can prepare a nice dinner with some nic atmosphere and invite your girl over. Trust me, it will impress her. Not only that you can pull it off, but that you thought of her and want to care for her this way. Then take her to town in both bedrooms and on the kitchen sink.

Seriously though, do buy yer own groceries and make your own food as much as possible. I read somewhere that people between the ages of 16 and 30 spend up to one-third of their leisure money on eating out. It's ridiculously expensive and most of it is either bad for you or just unnecessary. Save it for special occasions.

Oh, and if you want any solitude or peace, don't let it turn into a nightly party pad. I made that mistake with my first apartment and it's fun now and then, but when you get threatened with eviction for noise too many times or walk by your bathroom and complete strangers are in your shower {censored}ing, it gets pretty old...

Let people know they need to check with you before dropping in on you.

Have fun.

Well thankfully, I don't know enough people to have a loud party. :D The ones I do know are more nerd than partier anyway. :)I've already got a ricecooker, but will keep an eye out for a crockpot too. I know I'm guilty of spending a lot of money on eating out, and I've been trying to curb that a bit, lately. I'm going to eat out for lunch today though, because I forgot to bring something. D'oh!And, we've got plans to christen the apartment tonight. ;)

Archived