What do you think of this set-list?

dragon9666

• Members

The guys im with,(mid 30'sish) are wanting to play these songs.

Do you think they'd go over well? I wanna play stuff that people know and can get into.

What you think?

Superdrag -Who sucked out the feeling

Squeeze -Pulling Musels from a Shell

Elvis Costella -Pump it up, Veronica, Watching the Detectives

Camper Van Beethovon -Take the Skinheads Bowling

They Might Be Giants -Ana Ng, Dr. Worm,

Aztec Camera -Oblivious

Dinosaur Jr -Freak Scene, Start Choppin

Pavement -Cut your hair

The Replacements -Alex Chilton,

Human League -Fascination

Romeo Void -Never say never

The Vapors -Turning Japanese

Thomas Dolby -She blinded me with science, hyperactive

Timbuk 3 -The futures so bright...

Psychedelic Furs -President Gas, Pretty in Pink

Oingo Boingo -Dead Mans Party, Weird Science,

REM -Pop song 89, Superman (just for Jim), The Sidewinder sleeps tonite

The Cure -Pictures of You, Why cant I be like you?, 10:15 Sat. Night, A Letter to Elise

Sun Volt -Drown

Teenage FanClub -Star sign

Screaming Trees -Nearly Lost You

Pearl Jam -Breath, Spin the Black Circle, State of Love and Trust

Spacehog -In the meantime

Alice in Chains -Would?

Ok Go -Get over it

Catherine Wheel -I want to touch you, Black Metallic

Deathcab for Cutie -Crooked Teeth,

• Members

I think it really depends on who your audience is. Of the songs listed, I don't think I've ever heard about 24 of them. In the places that my old rock band played around the Chicago burbs, I don't think it would go over well. Your area? I haven't a clue. I will say that of the songs that I do know, I like almost all of them.

• Members

I say loose those guys and find a band that wants to play what you want to play. If you're the bass player, you'll find another band before they find another Bass player.

The "songs people know" vs songs that "we" wanna play is an age old debate. I have it with every band I'm in. I think its usually a refusal by the musicians to take on the task of learning new stuff, like they think they are going to fail at doing so or something.

seems obvious to me. You should play for the younger crowd cause they are more likely to go out clubbing than the older crowd. And sure, you can find clubs where some people want to hear what you're doing, but if you play straight up pop, right off the radio, you can play just about anywhere. I also think this means that the guys in your band are a little out of touch with what is poplular. Maybe they do listen to a radio station that plays what is on that set list. But they need to realize that the more mainstream stations are WAY BIGGER, and have ten times as many listeners.

The way I see it, is if you don't (at least somewhat) change what you are playing with the current trends, then your band gets less and less poplular with every day that goes by...................:confused:

• Members

The guys im with,(mid 30'sish) are wanting to play these songs.

Do you think they'd go over well? I wanna play stuff that people know and can get into.

What you think?

Elvis Costella - Veronica, Watching the Detectives

Camper Van Beethovon -Take the Skinheads Bowling

They Might Be Giants -Ana Ng,

Human League -Fascination

The Vapors -Turning Japanese

Thomas Dolby -She blinded me with science

Timbuk 3 -The futures so bright...

Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

Oingo Boingo - Weird Science,

REM -Pop song 89,

The Cure -Pictures of You,

Pearl Jam

Spacehog -In the meantime

Alice in Chains -Would?

Ok Go -Get over it

I'm somewhat of a music aficionado (sp?) and these are the only ones I know.

that's 13. Of which, most are not the strongest of each artist. My opinion...and its just my opinion, is that there will not be enough hook for enough people to keep the crowd for the entire night. Without the draw, gigs will dry up fast.

I'm not suggesting that you should play skynyrd and 867-5309, but there needs to be one of two things to happen:

1. you lighten the set with more known pop (pap?),

OR

2. make yourselves visually matching to the 80's vibe you have going on and make it about entertainment and less about being a cover band (if that makes sense). The 80's and very early 90s were all about image over substance in most cases (duran duran, Furs, etc) so that could be your schtick if you want to play the above setlist.

ymmv

• Members

In a bar/club setting, People want to hear stuff they hear on the radio. It would be tough keeping a crowd around here with little known stuff like that. Would make it very tough to get gigs.

Find a real club band...

Just my 0.02

• Members

First off, mad props on the 'Mats and Son Volt. If I was in a bar, and a band had this set list, I would so buy them drinks, hook them up with girls, whatever. However, the other 95% of the people in there would be like "WTF?!?!?! Where's the Steve miller band? " (I like SMB, just saying). You've got an awesome set of post-punk and alt rock, but that's not what (here in tampa) gets the girls shakin. Either stay alt rock and bring it a bit more contemporary (foo fighters, chevelle, Weezer, or around here the emo esque thing is big, Fall out boy, my chem, etc) or add more "classic rock" (ugh, i know) to your set list to balance it out. A lot of your stuff hit the top 40 in the 90's, which is not a bad place to start, but try to keep in mind the average age of your listener is prolly gonna be mid-20s (which won;t get your set at all) or your age, which may mean they preferred Oasis, Bush, etc during that time frame. But hey, you gotta like what you play too. Its a struggle. Good luck!!

• Members

In a bar/club setting, People want to hear stuff they hear on the radio. It would be tough keeping a crowd around here with little known stuff like that. Would make it very tough to get gigs.

Find a real club band...

Just my 0.02

+1...

- georgestrings

• Members

Thanks all.

Its not my pick but the singers. I'd hit it harder with a broder list and even it out a bit.

Were gonna pick some more modern songs. Any ideas?

well I would pick a genre of music that is popular and sit down with the other band members and have a brain storming session

pick your favorites and try to get a list of at least 100 songs you like then start narrowing down the list by what is least popular and what would be the hardest for your singer to duplicate and what would be a time consuming song to learn,if you have any original stuff throw those in the mix of 40 songs. 40 songs is a good 4 set night if you do 10 songs per set and try to keep them timed to about 3.5 to 5 minuites per songthat would be 50 minuites or less per set you want to play really energetic up beat tempo and throw some slow songs you know lips like an angel and EMO stuff like that that gets the ladies panties wet abut dont do more than 5 of those per set

end off with a good jam song colse it down piss on the fire and head it on home:thu:

that is a formula that worked well for the bands I gigged with anyway:thu:

• Members

Tell ya where I think that set list might fly.. ..any college town where the students don't tend to leave after graduation. There you might have a chance of playing that size of "college radio" play list from the eighties. Otherwise you'll tank. And in order not to tank, you'll have to advertise your ass off and plan on surviving tanking several times before the 40-something college-educated crowd gets out, if they get out.

Honestly, I'd say you'd be at least as well off playing originals as playing that list.

• Members

there's a lot in there I don't know, but there are some great songs too. I like 10:15 Sat night! *drip drip drip*

As others have said - depends on your audience. If you're playing to that age group, you'll do really well. If it's younger - they'll only know some.

From a bass playing perspective, I think it's good to play songs you normally wouldn't choose yourself - can only make you a better player with a broader style.

In my band, the 2 other blokes are 10 and 16 years older than I am. If it was up to me, I wouldn't play 1/2 the songs that they choose - but they seem to go down well with the audience and I'm getting more skills at different styles of music, so all good!

"squeak"

Archived