Capo (not that I would do this)

Low Stella

• Members

If you're playing lots of chordal stuff that you need certain droning strings for, then I see the point, but if you're playing arpeggios (like every bass player on the planet ;)) then you should be able to get by without it.

• Members

If you're playing lots of chordal stuff that you need certain droning strings for, then I see the point, but if you're playing arpeggios (like every bass player on the planet ;)) then you should be able to get by without it.

• Members

I used one to play 'guitary' riffs by capoing on the 12th fret. I then added un-capo'd bass to the recording. Sounded quite good.

If you're the kind of bassist who plays off the nut, and uses a lot of open strings, then go for it. There's no reason why you can't.

• Members

I used one to play 'guitary' riffs by capoing on the 12th fret. I then added un-capo'd bass to the recording. Sounded quite good.

If you're the kind of bassist who plays off the nut, and uses a lot of open strings, then go for it. There's no reason why you can't.

Yes, it can be useful for pedalling riffs. No, I never have used one. If I ever buy a capo for my guitar, I'll probably try it on bass though.

• Members

I've done it, there are times when my guitarist throws a capo on like 6th fret and I just don't feel like thinking about transposition. It's way easier to throw it on there when you're trying to learn a new song or something because you can take it off if you realize you aren't using alot of open strings, or decide you want to play it lower or something. It shortens the curve for just getting in there and playing something, at least for guys like me that tend to use the fretboard dots as a crutch.:idea:

C7

• Members

I can't think of any good reason to do that. The only reason to use capo with a guitar is if you are transposing something with lots of open strings in it. Since you aren't going to be playing many chords with a bunch of open notes on bass...

You need to get a whole lot lazier and quit trying to impose your playing ethics on the rest of us. Some of us like taking the easy way, you know, and it's just not up to you to judge us for it. We can leave that to the columnists in BP magazine and guys like manbearpig. There's no need for you to chug Haterade and piss on our parade, Jack.

C7

• Members

I've done it, there are times when my guitarist throws a capo on like 6th fret and I just don't feel like thinking about transposition. It's way easier to throw it on there when you're trying to learn a new song or something because you can take it off if you realize you aren't using alot of open strings, or decide you want to play it lower or something. It shortens the curve for just getting in there and playing something, at least for guys like me that tend to use the fretboard dots as a crutch.
:idea:
C7

+1:thu:

if the guitar player is slapping on a capo I am putting one on too because you are basically playing the same notes only you are not making chords and keeping the beat with the drummer and the guitarist is keeping rythym with you

It is a lot easier to clip a capo on than it is to retune

I try to encourage other players to not use a capo or tune down and just play stuff that is in standard tune but there is always someone who wants to play something from Creed that is played in drop D or wants clamp on a capo to make it easier to chord:rolleyes:

• Members

+1:thu:

if the guitar player is slapping on a capo I am putting one on too because you are basically playing the same notes only you are not making chords and keeping the beat with the drummer and the guitarist is keeping rythym with you

It is a lot easier to clip a capo on than it is to retune

I try to encourage other players to not use a capo or tune down and just play stuff that is in standard tune but there is always someone who wants to play something from Creed that is played in drop D or wants clamp on a capo to make it easier to chord:rolleyes:

Meh, I was being over the top and facetious. I actually haven't used one on a bass for a few years; in fact, I have no clue where my capo is anymore. I use mine to play alot of open drone notes, especially when I want to piss off a keyboard player, which is every time I see one. It's kind of like how I go to GC and stab the dudes on the keyboards with hypodermic needles full of ammonia, except not so extreme.

C7

• Members

Meh, I was being over the top and facetious. I actually haven't used one on a bass for a few years; in fact, I have no clue where my capo is anymore. I use mine to play alot of open drone notes, especially when I want to piss off a keyboard player, which is every time I see one. It's kind of like how I go to GC and stab the dudes on the keyboards with hypodermic needles full of ammonia, except not so extreme.

C7

LMAO:D

I havent had to use one in a while etiher but I do have one real handy

I mean like I am looking right at it right now laying right here on my computer desk. I wish that boy would learn to put up his stuff:mad:

*Picks up capo clamp and gives it a fling over left shoulder*

• Members

If you know your fretboard there's no reason to capo. Drop-tuning is a different beast, though. Drop-D is for extended low range. Downtuning your entire bass is for the same reason, and also to take advantage of open strings for drones or other fingering requirements that may make certain parts easier to play if one has the right open string tunings. For instance, most Motown tunes seem to be in Ab, Eb or Db. Downtuning a half-step just makes life easier in some ways in this case.

Archived