"600 Years of Godless Inhuman behavior"

baracuda2004

• Members

And it's kind of misrepresentation - they weren't "godless" - they had
plenty
of gods telling them to rape, plunder, and kill.

As a former follower of Asatru I can assure you that the Gods didn't tell them to do that. If anything they were protecting themselves against the opperssion of a pushy new religion called Christianity. It was purly a matter of self-defence. :D

• Members

Mrs. Thumper can trace her ancestry back to one of William the Conqueror's lesser knights.

I like to remind her that while her ancestors were huddling in mud and stick huts, mine were have a blast riding around on little ponies pillaging much of Europe.

:D

• Members

Ummm... ok. I find the knee jerk blaming of xianity for all of european civilizations ills quite amusing. Sad, but amusing.

Not blaming it for ALL of the ills but a few of em'. Christianity went thru a period much like Islam today, where it was ok to spread their religion by the sword. Many a Viking was forced to convert or die. It seems like the "Big 3" religions of the Middle East(Jews, Christians and Muslims) have at one time or another felt it was ok to "Kill in the name of God". Read the Old Testament, lots of killing by the Jews going on there, later, "Christians" felt it was their duty to either convert or kill all the "godless" heatherns, many people died as a result of the many Inquisitions that went on. Now, today, Islam is charged by Allah to kill the infidels. I guess it's the heat of the desert that drives em' all crazy. :D

• Members

There is sooooooooooooooo much misinformation and disinformation about the Middle Ages and the many inquisitions, both clerical and secular, that were done. Try a book by Regine' Pernoud, a French woman who was the head archivist for the French National Archives. Here's a link to one of several books she wrote on the topic.

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Terrible-Middle-Ages-Debunking/dp/08987078

Much of the misinformation surrounding the Middle Ages was created by Protestant reformers writing and spreading pamphlets to the masses. This is a time when Protestant/Catholic polemic obviously ran extremely high for political and cultural reasons more than theological ones. Protestant America has long been a home for this kind of anti-historical rhetoric and a longstanding home of anti-Catholic sentiment. We who grew up in this pool of disinformation owe it to ourselves to examine the truth of history rather than being complacent about what we've absorbed culturally. Regine' Pernoud is a great source as an academic of high standing in the field of medieval studies.

• Members

Great movie about that time period is Beowulf and Grendel. Came out last year (i think). The horses were SO cute, tiny little steps. A cool retelling of yer classic grendel story. better than 13th warrior, but only just.

No way, better than the 13th warrior? I dunno, when i think of a troll i think of like harry potter or LOTR types of trolls, not a retarted giant, They have some good scandinavian cast members though.

• Members

No way, better than the 13th warrior? I dunno, when i think of a troll i think of like harry potter or LOTR types of trolls, not a retarted giant, They have some good scandinavian cast members though.

I've never seen the 13th warrior but I agree ''Beowulf and Grendel'' seriously lacked; not in acting but in action and character visuals... now if Peter Jackson directed a movie about Beowulf. That's the one i'd vote for.:thu:

Archived