All this talk about "Loud enough"?

TN.Frank

• Members

main thing i was asking for.. is just incase there is no PA... though we have our own that works for the practice room it probably wouldn't be enough for a proper gig

A practice PA is primarily for vocals and any DI stuff(i.e. electronic, etc). In a very small club, your practice PA will do just fine. Simply set it up as you do for rehearsal...matching levels to your drummer.

If you have a gig in a very small club, you rent a small PA for vocals(and electronics, if necessary)...although you should already have a PA like this, otherwise, how do you rehearse st stage level and hear the vocals?

If you play bigger clubs, you rent a bigger PA.

Again, just because you play bigger places, doesn't mean you need bigger stage rigs, as your stage volume shouldn't change.

• Members

stage speakers are a lot less expensive than amp cabs

Not sure I am with you on that one. There are cheap speakers out there but I do not have any of them. The PA boxes our company rents cost $2,000 per box and up (way up). Professional bass cabs cost way less than professional PA cabs (EAW KFs, JBL Vertec, Vdosc, etc....). A bass player can own the same bass cabinets Victor Wooten plays but cannot afford the PA cabinets Victor plays.

• Members

Not sure I am with you on that one. There are cheap speakers out there but I do not have any of them. The PA boxes our company rents cost $2,000 per box and up (way up). Professional bass cabs cost way less than professional PA cabs (EAW KFs, JBL Vertec, Vdosc, etc....). A bass player can own the same bass cabinets Victor Wooten plays but cannot afford the PA cabinets Victor plays.

I am not talking about buying the most expensive cab on the market

• Members

another reason to furnish your own sound crew. if you are using your own sound man you have more control ofover the gig.

Which means, in many cases, owning your own PA. The clubs that I know of that do have their own PAs don't look kindly on potentially unqualified strangers tinkering with them - as has been pointed out, and incompetent sound man can "blow up" a PA.

• Members

Useable pa cabs, for a band start at 800.00, If you are adding bass and drums, you will need subs, at another 800.00 a cab. You will need 1 sub/high per side, so new cabs that will carry a bass through the pa will run about 3200.00, plus a crossver at about 400.00. That will buy a lot of nice stage gear.

• Members

Which means, in many cases, owning your own PA. The clubs that I know of that do have their own PAs don't look kindly on potentially unqualified strangers tinkering with them - as has been pointed out, and incompetent sound man can "blow up" a PA.

have you read my posts?

I am talking about having your own equipment and your sound guy, in essence is part of the band..

• Members

As a pro with a regional sound company I only ran the PA on rare occasions. The bands usually have a sound guy. If he proved to be un-qualified we would take him off the board but this did not happen very often (once every few years). I am sure club owners have to deal with a lot of unqualified sound guys. When you rented a PA from us there is a contract with liability spelled out. You blow it, you bought it.

• Members

Useable pa cabs, for a band start at 800.00, If you are adding bass and drums, you will need subs, at another 800.00 a cab. You will need 1 sub/high per side, so new cabs that will carry a bass through the pa will run about 3200.00, plus a crossver at about 400.00. That will buy a lot of nice stage gear.

I beg to differ.

sure if you are buying the most expensive cabs on the market, shesh man. You dont have to buy the most expensive equipment to gig in a nightclub to worry about the drunks wanting to throw a bottle through the speakers

I am talking about a croud of about 2500 tops not a stadium that holds 40 thousand screaming fans:rolleyes:

• Members
I beg to differ.

sure if you are buying the most expensive cabs on the market, shesh man. You dont have to buy the most expensive equipment to gig in a nightclub to worry about the drunks wanting to throw a bottle through the speakers

I am talking about a croud of about 2500 tops not a stadium that holds 40 thousand screaming fans:rolleyes:

2500?:confused:
Did you add one too many zeros?

The rig he described would cover 500 in a large hotel ballroom (120x200'). You better rent if 2500 people are coming your way.

• Members

I beg to differ.

These are far from the "most expensive" I own a PA, for small clubs, less than 150, I bring 2 srx715's and 2 mp418's, cabs cost about 3800.00. I did find useable cabs for 800.00. I bought the jbl's for local support. This set-up gets 3100 watts. For larger clubs, up to 300, I bring 2 EAW dual 18 horns, old, used, big and cheep. I got the pair for 1200. The drivers for these cabs would cost 1,600.00. The tops are srx4733's these cost about 1,800.00 new apiece. I got the pair used, in dead mint condition for 2,000.00. So I only have 3,200.00 on this set of cabs. They get 5,400 watts. Any thing bigger and I am hiring a sound company.

What Kind of PA would you use to play to 200 people? I am looking for brands and model numbers, because i know a lot of people that would love to find something that cheap, and you can put me at the top of the list.

• Members

what I am using right now is a Phonic Powerpod 740 Deluxe
with 6 Sem 715 on jacks
and 2 sem 710 floor monitors

2 Kustom KPC 215H Cabs powered up with a mackie power amp running through the main out on the Phonic mixer
not needed but if I did I do have a Nemesis 8x10 combo
and 2 Kustom 210 groove combos.
most expensive piece of equipment being the Nemesis combo cab as about 1200.00
the 2 groove combos 464.00 each
Pa with 2 sem 715 400.00
4 extra sem 715 200 each
KPC 215 200.00 each
6 tri pods150.00
which is a runing total of 4278.00
and I hardly ever any of the Bass cabs
1 because they are not needed
2 they are too dang heavy to lug around
If we are playing outside in open air then we will use the bass cabs otherwise they are un needed
and the mixer is on stage with me so I dont need any one running my sound
EDIT
we dont play hard metal so we dont need it so loud it makes your ears bleed 2 minuites into the show but plenty loud enough that your ears will ring after the show.

• Members

What Kind of PA would you use to play to 200 people? I am looking for brands and model numbers, because i know a lot of people that would love to find something that cheap, and you can put me at the top of the list.

If I were putting together a PA, I would simply go to my Yorkville dealer and do the rent to own. Believe it or not, this isn't like the furniture/appliances scam. This really works.

I'd get a pair of 1x15=horn cabs, and a pair of 1x15+horn floor wedges. I'd get a pair of power amps with around 1K watts each. This would suffice well for both rehearsals and small club gigs. I'd get a 16 channel(Yorkie or Mackie) mixer...and a 16 channel snake.

I'd rent bass bins(1 or 2 x15, or 1x18) and a power amp for them until we owned 'em. I'd also rent an additional pair of floor wedges.

For mics, I'd start buying Shure SM 57's. Get at least a dozen to start.

Always, always, ALWAYS remember KISS.

K eep

I t

S imple

S toopid

• Members

If I were putting together a PA, I would simply go to my Yorkville dealer and do the rent to own. Believe it or not, this isn't like the furniture/appliances scam. This really works.

I'd get a pair of 1x15=horn cabs, and a pair of 1x15+horn floor wedges. I'd get a pair of power amps with around 1K watts each. This would suffice well for both rehearsals and small club gigs. I'd get a 16 channel(Yorkie or Mackie) mixer...and a 16 channel snake.

I'd rent bass bins(1 or 2 x15, or 1x18) and a power amp for them until we owned 'em. I'd also rent an additional pair of floor wedges.

K eep

I t

S imple

S toopid

KISS:thu:

• Members

K eep

I t

S imple

S toopid

That is a nice rig for a working band. I play in a band with almost exactly that yorkville rig. Ours is the powered boxes. They have power and processing built in. Well worth the money and further the KISS philosophy. Anything bigger would suck electricity than is available from a bunch of wall outlets. Then you need a portable power distro and things start getting expensive fast.

• Members

Personal experience: locally, as Matt said, most clubs have a PA of some sort. At worst, they're still able to run vox and some drums through it, with guitars and bass fending for themselves. Usually works pretty well.

I've been on tour, though, and had everything from full festival PA layout to running vox through a Fender Twin.

Splitting a mic with the guitarist ("man... what'd he eat for lunch?").

Without monitors? Shove those earplugs in deep to keep the vox in tune.

Lots of that in the past...

These days I try to make sure I own enough rig to push to a 150-person room or so. Just enough overkill for peace of mind.

Archived