who makes a 5 string p-bass

jonathan_matos5

• Members

Or p j bass?

To be a little more specific if prefer one with an ash body and a maple neck/fretboard.
:)

Ummmmmmmmm...

Fender, for one.

Although I'm betting that won't be the bass of choice for the five-stringers...

Billy-B

• Members

Ummmmmmmmm...

Fender, for one.

Billy-B

I'm yet to play any 5 string fenders I'm just beginning my quest for a fiver and I have been gassing for a pbass lately so I figured I would try to kill two birds with one stone

• Members

2 P/J's for you:

Godin Freeway 5 Leaftop (maple body, maple neck, rosewood board):

229416.jpg

Yamaha BB615 (alder body, maple neck, rosewood board):

230852.jpg

These are the only ones I can think of, unless you go used and even then there aren't a lot to choose from. They are both under $700 FWIW.

• Members

I've never seen a 5 string P bass. Lots of P/J's out there, but never just a P. I'd like to see one. Warmoth and Valenti and any number of custom builders could/would do it though.

I think Valenti did one before...for sure a PJ...around that $1500 range iirc...

Mike Lull makes a gorgeous looking 5'er P but that would be in that custom price range you mentioned

Those Yammys that AnalogKid posted get pretty solid reviews.

• Moderators

Celinder does. But that's in custom price land as well. Also I'd post a pic but their web-site is down until august?!?

Apparently it's not that high on their list of priorities.

Ha ha ha! When the website first listed it was down until August, they meant August of 2006.

Sadowsky:

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4652.html

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4678.html

• Members

Fender offered the Squier Protone 5-string P-bass briefly in the mid-'90s. I think they came with rosewood boards only, but I could be wrong.

I've heard a number of players rave about them in various forums. I've never played one myself. It may be worth checking out, especially if you can find one cheap.

• Members

JM-5, check this out on the Bay. Maybe not exactly what you want, but I'd be willing to bet it will be made well and sound cool (and you should be able to knock the $$ down if you are interested).

Billy-B

• Members

For five string bass thats about P pups. Would also suggest BC Rich NJ Warlock 5 string bass. Mahogany body, bolt on maple neck with ebony fretboard, 2 band active eq. Locking bridge. P neck pup set, & P bridge pup set. Black with black hardware. To get something of the trad single P pup bass pup placement sound roll balance just a little toward either bridge or neck. Dimmu Borgirs bass player uses one btw.

• Members

Ummmmmmmmm...

Fender, for one.

Billy-B

Nope, no more 5-string P's from Fender. Check out their site: Fender Precisions. They are still making 5 string jazzes. I never thought that my recent purchase would become a discontinued instrument.

I found out when the link I had to my gear in my band's bio site went to a dead link.

Here's a pic:

FenderP.jpg

• Members

For five string bass thats about P pups. Would also suggest BC Rich NJ Warlock 5 string bass. Mahogany body, bolt on maple neck with ebony fretboard, 2 band active eq. Locking bridge. P neck pup set, & P bridge pup set. Black with black hardware. To get something of the trad single P pup bass pup placement sound roll balance just a little toward either bridge or neck. Dimmu Borgirs bass player uses one btw.

i dont think the warlock would go over too well for the church gig that i need a 5 string for, but it would be fun to see everybodys reaction to it:D

looks like im gonna have to keep looking

thanks guys

looks like im gonna have to spend more on this venture as in custom or buy 2 basses or tune BEAD on a P-bass:idea:

Archived