Recording Bass--help for the unprepared

In Absentia

• Members

I have been thinking about getting a couple of preamps here lately for recording. I am looking at the SVP-Pro, the Avalon U5, the Sansamp PSA-1, and the Line 6 Pod Pro XT. I think I could get some vicious sounds out of this. However, I wonder if it will be enough. Can you really get pro sounds out of these preamps without micing a cab? I thought I would maybe do a hybrid mix of preamp/DI and live cabinet recording. The only professional bass recording I've been in on, the engineer used both. What am I to do?

Also, how do I record a bass using a mic? Mic position, type, etc.

• Members

All pretty good equipment but IMO overkill for most studio recordings. Are you guys really going for the professional recording (dumping lots of $$ into this)?? If so, the Avalon or Sans Amp is great, but in MOST cases, use this: (you won't be disappointed)

• Members

All pretty good equipment but IMO overkill for most studio recordings. Are you guys really going for the professional recording (dumping lots of $$ into this)?? If so, the Avalon or Sans Amp is great, but in MOST cases, use this: (you won't be disappointed)

Well, my friend is dumping $7700 into his home studio Tuesday and we have some pretty big expectations of what kind of sound we can get. Another friend is running a similarly priced studio and getting paid $$$ to record local bands. We want to make sure that we have what we need to get a good sound.

Thanks for the reply, let's keep 'em coming.

• Members

Yeah i've only heard good things about the sans amp also.. if anything i'd try that first before i poured all that money into that other gear you might be able to pull some awesome stuff from it and still have money left over.

I actually used to have PSA-1 when I played guitar. Got rid of it because I didn't like the guitar sounds. I filled in for my bassist with it once, and got some pretty decent sounds. I haven't tried the BDDI

• Members

Its hard to beat the sound you get from a good cab miced properly. We're working on an E.P. right now and we used a nuemann mic on my cab (miced slightly off axis from the woofer) and a direct signal from a D.I., (countryman seems popular, as well as Avalon)

The dry signal was very clear and articulate, the miced signal was really fat. Blended together to taste it sits really well in the mix. The norm for a good studio seems to be an Ampeg B15. (i see these mentioned ALL THE TIME for recordings Victor Wooten, U2, etc....) But any quality combo or head/cab will work.

See the recording forum for mroe details about mic choices and placement....

Archived