i'm seeing a band tomorrow with 9 bassists

frunobulax

• Members

Psh, those stand up buys think they're so bad with their "I don't need frets" attitudes.

Seriously though you can't mess with Classical musicians. If you can find a group of people that's more dedicated to uncompromising accuracy in music then I will say "damn, didn't think of them"

• Members

Now, why doesn't anyone put together a true orchestra of "modern" / "rock" instruments? Amplification gets rid of the need for multiple people playing one part, but we don't often see that degree of complexity and counterpoint in "modern" music, and I miss it. (Oh, and ELO and the like ain't what I'm talkin' 'bout.)

How big would an orchestra be if you only had one person playing each part, rather than multiples for volume?

I think someone ought start a true metal orchestra and name it the New Sodom Philharmonic. :D

• Members

Now, why doesn't anyone put together a true orchestra of "modern" / "rock" instruments? Amplification gets rid of the need for multiple people playing one part, but we don't often see that degree of complexity and counterpoint in "modern" music, and I miss it. (Oh, and ELO and the like ain't what I'm talkin' 'bout.)

Like Apocalyptica, or more Yngwie-ish.

• Members
Like anything with which Robert Fripp is involved?

Like Apocalyptica, or more Yngwie-ish.

I think he means something more in the lines of zappa with his orchestra, or a modern jazz band where there are more than one instrument in each register, not just the simple guitar/rythm guitar/bass pattern of modern rock...

Archived