Sans frets

heymelbs

• Members

I played a fretted bass for 6 years and decided to buy a fretless to see how I would like it. Now that I've gotten used to the freedom that the fretless gives me, I find the frets to be a hindrance. I've heard it said that once you start getting used to a fretless bass, that you will never go back to fretted.

• Members

Both have their place, I doubt you could say either is the be all and end all of bass design.

A fretless gives you virtually unlimited freedom and scope in what you can do on it, but on the other hand working within certain limits does lead to a completely different set of skills and range in what you can pull off and create yourself, and there are still many sounds and styles a fretted bass will pull off that a fretless can't get near

David

• Members

What they all said. I played only fretless for most of last year and loved it, but sometimes the music just calls out for frets so I got back into fretted. Some gigs I've used the fretless on only the few tunes absolutely requiring it, other times I've picked it up for those songs and didn't set it back down.

Archived