How to connect my speakers to the head

Torkelboy

• Members

Hi!

I've got two qustions for you, one of them is related to the topic.

I've got an ampeg b2r head(250w@8ohm, 350@4ohm), and i'm currently running an ampeg BSE410h cab(8ohm, 200Wrms) through it.

I'm thinking of adding an ampeg SVT-15e or an ambeg BSE-115 sub(both 200Wrms@8ohm).

1st question: What cab should i choose in your opinion? Mine says the SVT since it's more expensive, but thats just me.

2nd qusetion: On the back of my amp there is two outputs for speakers. one neutrik speakon and one 1/4". I've got my 410cab connected via the 1/4". So i have to connect a second cab through speakon, do i have to by a speakon equiped cab or is there adapters out there, tell me everything you now on this matter. whats possible/not possible, pros/cons.

/Greets from Sweden

• CMS Author

Hi!

I've got two qustions for you, one of them is related to the topic.

I've got an ampeg b2r head(250w@8ohm, 350@4ohm), and i'm currently running an ampeg BSE410h cab(8ohm, 200Wrms) through it.

I'm thinking of adding an ampeg SVT-15e or an ambeg BSE-115 sub(both 200Wrms@8ohm).

1st question: What cab should i choose in your opinion? Mine says the SVT since it's more expensive, but thats just me.

2nd qusetion: On the back of my amp there is two outputs for speakers. one neutrik speakon and one 1/4". I've got my 410cab connected via the 1/4". So i have to connect a second cab through speakon, do i have to by a speakon equiped cab or is there adapters out there, tell me everything you now on this matter. whats possible/not possible, pros/cons.

/Greets from Sweden

Get whatever cab sounds best to you. One good cab > two mediocre cabs.

Most Ampeg cabs have a pair of 1/4" and a pair of Speakon jacks, Connect one cab to the other using those, whichever cables you've got. Speakon are much better jacks than 1/4". You can get 1/4"-1/4", 1/4"-Speakon, and Speakon-Speakon cables.

• Members

BSE's are a slightly scaled down, 'price-bracket' line from Ampeg. Just guessing, but you may get more uniform results if both cabs 'match'.

By this I mean the SVT cab may be too much better than your existing cab.

i would rather one good and one crappy over two crappy....

• Members

ok, connecting a 1/4" equiped cab to the speakon input on my amp is no problem then?

The BSE115 has the same speccs as the SVT115e, the only difference is in character, i've heard some say the BSE ones sound more round and warm whilst others tell the complete opposite.

has anyone tried both? Cus i'll probably have a hard time trying to test both cabs out before bying any of them!

/erik

• Members

BSE's are a slightly scaled down, 'price-bracket' line from Ampeg. Just guessing, but you may get more uniform results if both cabs 'match'.

By this I mean the SVT cab may be too much better than your existing cab.

I do not know why BSE cab's are a 150$ bolow the SVT ones, perhaps because they don't play as well, perhaps not.

But bse410 plays very nice and i've received several complements on it. Though i'm currently running a peavey TNT150 through preamp in my amp so i'm loosing some power there, but it gives me more punch in the low register.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :D

• Members

Is Daisy-Chaining a better way to do it? And exactly how do you do it?

It's not better, but it's more convenient than getting an expensive speakon-to-jack cable.

It's really quite simple.

jack-jack cable from head to 4x10 cab. The 4x10 cab has two jack connectors though - connect another cable the other jack connector, and that one goes to the 1x15 cab.

It's essentially the same as connecting the two cables to the head itself. The two cables are 'paralleled', as it's called. This means that both speakers are connected in parallel, although it seems as if the 15" cab is connected after the 4x10, but it isn't.

• Members

It's not better, but it's more convenient than getting an expensive speakon-to-jack cable.

It's really quite simple.

jack-jack cable from head to 4x10 cab. The 4x10 cab has two jack connectors though - connect another cable the other jack connector, and that one goes to the 1x15 cab.

It's essentially the same as connecting the two cables to the head itself. The two cables are 'paralleled', as it's called. This means that both speakers are connected in parallel, although it seems as if the 15" cab is connected
after
the 4x10, but it isn't.

Are there any cons?

will the head run at 4 ohms with this setup? because that i really what i want, to pump out 350 watts at 4 ohms.

Thanks for quick answers!

• Members

Are there any cons?

will the head run at 4 ohms with this setup? because that i really what i want, to pump out 350 watts at 4 ohms.

Thanks for quick answers!

No cons that I can think of.

Yes, as a result of the parallel load, it will run at 4 ohms. However, you will notice the addition of an extra speaker much more than those extra watts.

• Members

I do not know why BSE cab's are a 150$ bolow the SVT ones, perhaps because they don't play as well, perhaps not.

But bse410 plays very nice and i've received several complements on it. Though i'm currently running a peavey TNT150 through preamp in my amp so i'm loosing some power there, but it gives me more punch in the low register.

:blah:
:D

It's anyone's guess HOW Ampeg decided to price bracket this model below the other.

I once bought a TV from a venerable manufacturer (Zenith) at a discount store (Incredible Universe, owned by Tandy (aka:Radio Shack). It was around $300, and was the first new TV I'd ever bought.

Problem was that the thing had a 365 day warranty and crapped out on me on the 366th day. As it turned out, the replacement picture tube was $600 by itself!

They took off-spec picture tubes and gambled that most of them would outlast the warranty, or that the consumers would never force them to make good on it. This is the upshot.

Ampeg is a venerable company, and I trust them almost implicitly, but I once said that of Zenith as well. ('The quality goes in before the name goes on'.)

It could be they use lower quality plywood in the cabinets (not something you'll ever see a real difference in). Could be the speakers just didn't meet some standard (something you probably WILL notice!). I don't know, and nobody who isn't working for Ampeg does either.

There doesn't really seem to be any significant design differences between the low-line and high-line Ampeg cabs, so the cost difference could actually be to your advantage.

• Members

one thing is for sure, they sell a lot of BSE cab's, maybe in a year we will see alot of ad's on them in non working condition("for the handy-man"), but then again. Ampeg has a great rumour, so why ruin it by making a bad quality cab.

Before i bought my 410cab a year ago i scanned the web for negative feedback on the it, but only found positive. Perhaps they made a new series of cabinet's and head's with a difference in sound, and they were cheaper to construct. Who knows!?

I will however buy the SVT 115e, just to be sure, beacause the differnce in price is not big enough for me to back off. But then again, i'm pleased with my BSE4*10.

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Members

one thing is for sure, they sell a lot of BSE cab's, maybe in a year we will see alot of ad's on them in non working condition("for the handy-man"), but then again. Ampeg has a great rumour, so why ruin it by making a bad quality cab.

Before i bought my 410cab a year ago i scanned the web for negative feedback on the it, but only found positive. Perhaps they made a new series of cabinet's and head's with a difference in sound, and they were cheaper to construct. Who knows!?

I will however buy the SVT 115e, just to be sure, beacause the differnce in price is not big enough for me to back off. But then again, i'm pleased with my BSE4*10.

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hehheh...

The one thing I didn't say before is that $150 ain't what it used to be.

I was watching the Andy Griffith Show the other night:

Andy (to Opie): I was thinking about getting a new guitar.

Opie: Gee paw, how much would that cost? I mean, a good one?

Andy: Oh, probably $150... 200.

I had to lmao!

• Members
Hehheh...

The one thing I didn't say before is that $150 ain't what it used to be.

I was watching the Andy Griffith Show the other night:

Andy (to Opie): I was thinking about getting a new guitar.

Opie: Gee paw, how much would that cost? I mean, a
good
one?

Andy: Oh, probably $150... 200.

I had to lmao!

:thu:

Archived