Not diggin' the Motown and Soul review band

The Insomniac

• Members

I went and interviewed for the Motown band. It's a lot more rhythm and blues then Motown.

"...and here is how I pay, the rhythm section gets $75 a night because they have to play every note, the singers and horns get $70 a night because they don't have to play every song, I make $40 - now that's for bar gigs cause they don't pay so well.

Private parties and weddings - everyone gets $100 and it's no one's business what I get paid for those jobs."

Sorry - I think I'm going to pass. I was getting paid more than that in our 5 piece band.

• Members

I went and interviewed for the Motown band. It's a lot more rhythm and blues then Motown.

"...and here is how I pay, the rhythm section gets $75 a night because they have to play every note, the singers and horns get $70 a night because they don't have to play every song, I make $40 - now that's for bar gigs cause they don't pay so well.

Private parties and weddings - everyone gets $100 and it's no one's business what I get paid for those jobs."

Sorry - I think I'm going to pass. I was getting paid more than that in our 5 piece band.

Last I checked the bass was considered a rhythm instrument.... why are you getting paid 35 bucks less simply because your a bass player? I would probbly pass as well, especially if your playing for cash.

• Members

Last I checked the bass was considered a rhythm instrument.... why are you getting paid 35 bucks less simply because your a bass player? I would probbly pass as well, especially if your playing for cash.

Sorry, I used quotes to indicate what he said to me. He makes the $40 on bar jobs but it

• Members

Is it more than you'd be making by not doing it?

Probably, but unless this cat is writing all the songs, he's no more important than any other player.

If I was in a band and I was told it was none of my business how much one player was getting paid, I'd send out flyers to all the clubs and event planners offering a $100 special.:idea:

C7

• Members

The guy has the PA and trailer and he books the gigs. The PA is nothing special, just Yamaha 15's with horns on poles. He's the drummer and doesn't sing for the most part. The over all product is good and the horn players are very good. That being said there isn't any thing going on that a good keyboard player and a sax could cover together and you might get some vocals out of the keyboard player.

The singer and the drummer I have been practicing with would stomp on this band. I believe I have the marketing savvy to pull this thing off if I can keep everyone together long enough.

• Members

Must be some really small parties and weddings! Or he's pocketing a nice chunk for himself!

I agree-I'm doing a Wendy's corporate gig and a wedding next month-both gigs pay $1500 for 3 hours ( 4 piece band)

Both during the day too-gotta love that!

Mr. Matt

• Members

I agree-I'm doing a Wendy's corporate gig and a wedding next month-both gigs pay $1500 for 3 hours ( 4 piece band)

Both during the day too-gotta love that!

Mr. Matt

Word! I don't think I've gotten less than $500-$600 minimum to about $1500-$2000 maximum for corporate gigs and slightly less numbers for weddings!

$100??? Sorry, that's just for making me wear a tux!

• Members

i disagree. it's his show. he laid out the arrangement right up front, no BS.

one can accept it or not.

Yep - when contract a gig, I always add a certain amount to the total before quoting the price to the employer. That way I make exactly the same as every other player plus I make a fee for the extra work of phone calls, charts, organizing rehearsals, etc.

I don't advertise it to the band...if someone asks, I'll tell them "I made the same as you plus a contractors fee" Depending on who asks, I'll either tell them how much or not....

It's strictly business and I think the guy is being completely professinal. I have no problem whatsoever with his approach.

The money you can take or leave - personally it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. You show up, plug in, tear down, and cash the check....

or you sit at home....

• Members

I have pretty much the same rules in my band. I handle all of the booking and promotion. I pay everybody the same amount for each gig, $100.00. When we pull more money, I pay a bonus.

With 7 guys in the band, I have to come up with at least 600 bones to do a gig. Not to mention providing the PA and replacing anything that gets lost, stolen or damaged. (or electric bills on our rehearsal space and everything else that goes in to keeping a band working).

Our minimum booking is $500.00 + 1/2 the door. Most of the time, this works out just fine and we pull $900.00 - $1,200.00. Other times, we end up short. No matter what, I pay the guys.

At the moment, I am $300 in the hole for the year. It doesn't bother me much because we have 5 "big" shows coming up that pay over $3,000 each. I will usually settle up with myself at those gigs... and pull a few hundred extra to cover equipment and stress. What is left over I pay as a bonus.

IMHO, it's good to have a Band Leader that takes care of this stuff. Playing Gigs is a business and it needs to be run like one. Every member of my band knows that they will make about $500.00 per month. They don't have to deal with anything, they just need to show up and play. Most of them are in other bands and make more money... but they also have to deal with the Drama.

I think it might be a good opportunity for you. At the very least, you might make some good contacts.

• Members

I have pretty much the same rules in my band. I handle all of the booking and promotion. I pay everybody the same amount for each gig, $100.00. When we pull more money, I pay a bonus.

With 7 guys in the band, I have to come up with at least 600 bones to do a gig. Not to mention providing the PA and replacing anything that gets lost, stolen or damaged. (or electric bills on our rehearsal space and everything else that goes in to keeping a band working).

Our minimum booking is $500.00 + 1/2 the door. Most of the time, this works out just fine and we pull $900.00 - $1,200.00. Other times, we end up short. No matter what, I pay the guys.

At the moment, I am $300 in the hole for the year. It doesn't bother me much because we have 5 "big" shows coming up that pay over $3,000 each. I will usually settle up with myself at those gigs... and pull a few hundred extra to cover equipment and stress. What is left over I pay as a bonus.

IMHO, it's good to have a Band Leader that takes care of this stuff. Playing Gigs is a business and it needs to be run like one. Every member of my band knows that they will make about $500.00 per month. They don't have to deal with anything, they just need to show up and play. Most of them are in other bands and make more money... but they also have to deal with the Drama.

I think it might be a good opportunity for you. At the very least, you might make some good contacts.

Word....

• Members

I agree with what you say. But. The part about "what I make on private gigs is nobody's business" is what would worry me.

I'd be perfectly fine with "you all get $100" and I get the rest. And. I'll show how much we get paid and break it all down for you.

There is something to be said for maintaining equipment, booking gigs, and doing all the leg work. I think those issues need to be compensated for. I just think telling the rest of the band not to ask about money seems fishy to me.

I guess there are two ways to handle it:

1. Here's your money now go home.

2. Here's what the band makes and here's why you get what you get and why I get what I get.

I'd be willing to work if I heard explanation # 2. If I heard # 1 I'd head for the door. Both situations handle things up front. But. I wouldn't work for the guy in # 1.

Archived