What bass head....

annistonband

• Members

I've now got my Ampeg 6X10 and I'm in the market for a new head...

Pending price, these are the heads I am looking at...

Ampeg SVT Classic 450h

Ampeg SVT 3Pro

Gallien Krueger 700 RBII

Genz Benz 600

What are you thoughts? Obviously, ss vs. tube is going to come into play, but I'm just really into a warm, smooth bass sound. I hate too much treble. Let me know what you think...

• Members

Get a Gk 1001RB II from http://www.rmcaudio.com/. It'll fit your price range, guarenteed, and is superb for the money.

If you can afford a GBE600 (they are a bit more, and I don't think you can get them new anymore...could be mistaken) then go for it. They definitely sound a bit better than GK to my ears.

You might also, at that price range, want to look into the Yorkville 200 watt tube head (traynor yba200 i think). They sound pretty darned nice also.

• Members

Also, some people say the GK head only really sounds good through a GK cab? Any thoughts?

Methinks that some people are a few beers short of a six pack. Some of the best tones that I've ever heard have been made by a GK800RB through a Eden 410, absolute tone heaven.

• Members

I would definetly try out as many heads with your cab as possible. Y ou did'nt mention if your cab is brand new. I would let the cab break in before doing any serious comparesens thou. You dont want to get on the head of the month merry go round! It gets expensive!

• Members

I've now got my Ampeg 6X10 and I'm in the market for a new head...

Pending price, these are the heads I am looking at...

Ampeg SVT Classic 450h

Ampeg SVT 3Pro

Gallien Krueger 700 RBII

Genz Benz 600

What are you thoughts? Obviously, ss vs. tube is going to come into play, but I'm just really into a warm, smooth bass sound. I hate too much treble. Let me know what you think...

I got a Boss GT6B and run that through:

-Behringer TUBE ULTRA-Q T1951 parametric eq with pretty tubes with light bulbs behind them.:p I use the low freq to shelve at about 25 hz. Sloppy woofer movement completely eliminated. ($60 on Craigslist).

-Then to a Behringer COMPOSER PRO-XL MDX2600 for final compression, gating, etc. I bought mine new a couple of years ago. You should be able to find them or Craigslist for $50 or so.

-Then to a Crown Micro-tech 1200, 480 watts per channel. ($225 on Craigslist)

Then to a pair of 4x10s - A sunn (soon to be Avatar 2x12) and an Avatar.

I get full stereo effects from my GT6B, or I can go mono 1300 watts if I need the raw volume, or just bring one speaker to a gig. The 1951 is AMAZING for tuning the overall sound to a room.

Tubes are a BIG deal with Guitars, obviously. I think they are overrated for bass, now that there are all sorts of reasonably effective cabinet and amp modelers. 'Course, I am talking live here. I don't plan on making any money from recording.

Archived