BLASPHEMY Thread!

ezstep

• Members

I have come to an unusual realization:

The more I play my Ampeg BA115, the less I like the way it sounds. It definitely does sound different according to which bass I am playing through it, but overall, I am not nearly as high on Ampeg combos as I once was.

At rehearsal last night, I had to stretch out the cord and move to look over someone's shoulder at the sheet music, and the amp sounded completely different twenty feet away! Almost thin. I was playing the Kingston 5-er. I have played the same room with the Peavey head and BagEnd cab, and there is a huge difference in the sounds.

I am going to experiment more with it in the next few weeks, but right now, I am disappointed.

• Members

I love my BA115. But. Only for practice.

I run a cable from the PC into the RCA inputs. And. Put on the headphones. Bam. I can practice without having to annoy the family.

I used it at an outdoor gig once and the soundguy hated the direct out. And. I don't really care for the sound. So. I don't use it live at all. I'll stick to my Genz Benz.

I wished I'd bought the 112 instead. A little smaller and still good for practice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

... It definitely does sound different according to which bass I am playing through it....

...I am going to experiment more with it in the next few weeks, but right now, I am disappointed.

Well, I nailed it in the first paragraph. I took other basses to the same building, same setting, etc., and it definitely sounded different with every different bass. With the Carvin - sounded great. With the Alembic - sounded a little anemic. With the G&L - sounded great, but different from the Carvin (P vs. J). With the Kingston - thin. Not much projection.

Strange. I certainly understand it, but I had never noticed it before I had to get up and move away from it. Within 5-10 feet, it sounded huge. But the farther I got away, the less it projected (especially with the Kingston). It definitely had more bottom and carried better with the dual pups than with the single.

Okay. I am "normal" again. No problems. :D I will keep it.

Archived