Nazman06

• Members

I an going to buy two 2 x 12 cabs ..I will power this with the Carvin B800 head. I will get the cabs 4 ohm ..The head will go down to 2 ohms.

I can't decide if I should get the Avatar (with tolex) or the Dr.Bass..

What should I do?

• Members

Probably split pretty much down the middle on this forum. I've never used Dr. Bass, but I've used Avatar, and can't imagine the Dr. Bass sounding any better.

I've owned Dr. Bass and I now own Avatars. The Avatars sound good and all but I miss my Dr. Bass's. I won't miss my Avatars when they're gone.

• Members

I've never heard Dr Bass cabs, but I would like to.

The Avatar cabs are all very good cabs and for the price they are a very good value.

If Dr Bass built cabs with 18", 21", or 25" drivers, I would definitely buy one.

The Hemp Acoustics 25" sub is going to redefine what low end means.:D

• Members

Avatars are great budget cabs, likely the best bang for the buck you'll find.

Dr. Bass cabs cost more, and they sound it; more like high end boutique cabs, but at a very good price point.

I have both, and though I'm impressed with my Avatars and still love them, my Dr. Bass BL2260 is easily the best single cab I've played through. My GB 4x10 is close, but those are more expensive new (I got it at a killer price).

If you can afford the extra, I'd go for Dr. Bass.

• Members

I am thrilled with how good my avatar 410 Neo sounds.

Can a cab sound better? Yeah, probably, but I haven't played through another cab that I like better. I've heard little to no bad reviews of the Neo cabinets from Avatar.

I will say, I have never had the chance to play through Dr. Bass, but I have played through 15+ other brands.

• Members

I have 1,100 to spend and the Dr.Bass RX 15' and 2 x 12 will run me with shipping $678.00. And the Carvin B800 head is on sale for $349.00 right now .Shipping is $25.00.

Total for all- 1,052.00

Enough left over for some patch cables!:thu:

• Members

With that budget, I would most definately go quality over quantity. You could get a Bergantino cab for that...won't push as much air but...

In my experience, I've found Avatars to be great budget cabs. Great if you want something like a 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15 for your 1st gigging rig, but if you have a decent budget to work with, I'd look at other mfgs. Dr Bass isn't a bad place to start. I'm pretty intrigued by them with all the reviews, as well as the specs.

• Members

I got a Avatar Delta 212 and it really kicks for the price. The tweeter is a little noisey but you can adjust how much you want. I got an older Ampeg 212 (SVT212-E) the other day in a trade though and I think it just might sound better. I got it for next to nothing so I was not expecting much. I have only had a few minutes to test it but I am very happy. Not quite as HIFI but very full and beautiful indeed so I might just switch over

• Members

I've owned both. I bought a Dr. Bass and waited over 2 months to receive it. I NEEDED a cab, so called Dave at Avatar while waiting for the Dr. Bass. I had it in 3 days. Tonally, I liked the Dr. Bass a bit better, but kept the Avatar. The Dr. Bass cab was not near as loud and did not push air as well as my Avatar. In a band setting, the Avatar just seemed to cut better. Avatar now has a better covering and offers tolex as well, so Avatar is just a better way to go for my tastes and needs.

• Members

I guess I will go Avatar then..My metal band only plays out once a month..so they should work fine for my needs..I could also hit the music stores for some used Ampeg cabs..

For What it is Worth, I use my 410 in a death metal band. I does the job.

• Members

I play a Sunn 2000S tube head (120 watts rms @ 4 ohms) thru

an Avatar 8 ohm 212Neo & an 8 ohm 210 neo and it sounds nothing short of fantastic. You might consider that set-up instead of 2 2 x 12 cabs.

It also sosunds great thru an Ampeg SVT 115E and the avatar 212 Neo. Great bottom.

• Members

Cool!

Well, we'll have that set-up to compare in Mesa's, Dr.Bass's, and Avatars at least!

Okay, we had the three sets of 115 + 210's there yesterday. I have to say, IMO:

The Avatars are great sound for the money, not a bad thing at all. Good tone, nice size and weight for an average cab. As a budget cab, or even mid-line cab, it would be hard to go wrong with these. The Dr. Bass's are a little richer in tone, even more defined, and small-light-portable as all hell. If you want a set of cabs for schlepping, these are them! Now, in comparison, the Mesa's were even deeper, richer, and you could feel them throughout the room. Really strong saturating presence. But, in comparison to the other two, they're farkin' huge, weigh a ton, and if bought brand new, require a second mortgage. (Thanks to RockStarBassist, I got an incredible deal on them, or I probably wouldn't spring that kind of cash...)

So I think it boils down to: volume/tone vs. size vs. cost, pick 2 of the 3. If I was looking for a new set, I'd consider the Dr. Bass's first.

Then there's the 112 Berg on the Markbass, and the Acme and the Ampeg B4 that were going on over on the other side of the room... Hmmm.....

Archived