What's a decent bass for gigging that's under $300 CAD?

MKCL

• Members

I just came back from the music store and played around with some basses. Obviously not the SX ones, but I did tinker around with the Vintage Squier, some jazz basses, fretless ones, and so on. Played them through a Yorkville 200 watt. Nice amp!

To be honest, the Squier was decent-for someone who plays guitar more than bass. It reminded me a lot like the Fender Precision I used to have. In fact, I even played the Fender Precision at the store just to compare it. Aside from the loose pickups on the Squier, I liked the feel. I think the loose pickups can be easily fixed with a screw though. Or I can always order a brand new one from the store. There wasn't much difference between the quality and the tone was pretty similar. Well, not enough of a difference for me to spend $515 CAD on the Fender when the Squier was only $290 CAD.

I have a good idea of the Squier (black pickguard on white). I won't be able to try the SX unless I buy it, so what should I do? What will I expect from an SX? What can the SX do that the Squier cannot (stock-form)?

This is the SX I am thinking of:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62mglpb.html

Cool finish!

• Members
There's plenty of good value basses around. Here's mine - it's the easiest playing bass I've ever had and might be in your price range:

00531740_3.jpg
Peavey Millenium AC BXP.

I played one of those the other day and I have to say it played really nice but the bridge did need some adjusting up on the E string.

• Members

This may have been mentioned...

Both MF & Rondo use UPS Standard, which will charge you atrocious duty and brokerage. Makes those cheapies not worth it, in my opinion.

Check Craigslist and your local shops and you'll likely find something that will suit your needs.

• Members

Well I do live in Canada.

Has anyone bought a bass delivered to British Columbia before?

where in BC are you located? One of the L&Ms around should have something....

those Deans were still fairly rare when I was still living in Canada...may be more around now.

fwiw I gigged my SX stock a pile of times...worked just fine.

I love the look of the SVM P...haven't tried it so can't compare but it gets great reviews...

how about ebay? stick in Canada and no duty to pay....

Archived