What's a decent bass for gigging that's under $300 CAD?

MKCL

• Members

I actually started on a bass, but now I don't have my bass anymore. I became a guitarist for church and my band. Now I am thinking of getting a bass again, but not too expensive. Perferbly under $300 CAD, new or used. For new basses, I was wondering about the SX models from Rondomusic. Another choice is Squier.

Squier:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

SX:

http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62vwh.html

There's quite a huge gap in price, but is there a huge gap in quality? Those are just some of the models I am interested in. I am open to other basses as well in my price range. What's your opinion?

Advice appreciated! :)

• Members

If I couldn't get a REAL Fender then I'd check out Dean, they've got quite a few decent basses for well under $300. IF you want to mess with it (change out pots, pups, bridge, ect.) you could get an SX and fix it up as you go. Of course in the end you'd have about as much as you would in a MIM Fender but it'd be a much slower drain on you funds then just spending it all at once. The real test would be to play a few different lower end basses and see what had the best feel/sound for the bucks and get that.

• Members

Oh really?

What's wrong with those SX basses? Are they like Jay Tursers?

I had a Jay Turser first, and then upgraded to a Fender Precision and the difference was pretty noticeable.

• Members

Oh really?

What's wrong with those SX basses? Are they like Jay Tursers?

I had a Jay Turser first, and then upgraded to a Fender Precision and the difference was pretty noticeable.

Well the pots are {censored}.. the neck is a little rough, and the pickups are ok at best. With some upgrades though it can be as good as or better than a MIM Fender. There are some forumites on here that can give you more infor on that than I can.

• Members

How about some gig-ready basses under $300 CAD without any mods?

You can gig a stock SX. It will need some basic set-up (truss rod adjustment, pup height, bridge intonation).

Replacing the pots, pups and bridge will give you a nice bass that sounds and plays better than a MIM Fender for about half the price.

• Members

Yeah, I emailed Rondomusic about an Agile before, but I never pulled the trigger because I went for a Gibson instead. They said something like what you see on the final checkout is what you pay for or something like that. Some SX models look pretty attractive though and the reviews are pretty good.

I might play bass for church, which is why I am thinking of a bass. In my current band, I am the lead guitarist, so yeah.

I'm not too fond of the Dean Edge (http://www.deanguitars.com/edge.htm). Interesting suggestion anyway though!

Does a stock SX sound better or worse than a $250~ CAD Jay Turser bass?

I am using this example, because I had a Jay Turser before and it sounded pretty dull compared to the Fender Precision I got later.

• Members

That SX you are looking at will be about $225-$230 CAN give or take a couple $ for the currency conversion on any given day. That includes shipping, taxes, duty etc... No extra fees. Delivered in 5 or 6 days.

I have gigged them out of the box stock and they are decent. Much better after pots and a bridge.

IMO they are better than any Squire I've played and equal to or better than the few MIM Fenders I've played after upgrading the pots.

• Members

spj62vwh1.jpg

giggable - for shizzle...I almost bought that guit...but they didn't have it in sunburst so I got their straight P bass...gig that dog out of that thing...my favorite bass...c-d

Yeah, I like the Vintage white with a black pickguard, but the headstock doesn't really match.

How about the fretless models?

• Members

What about them? The SX's are all pretty much the same, fretted or not.

And yeah, the headstock made me not really like the Vintage white..

Anyways, fretless, seems to be pretty cool. I played one before (not the rondo one though).

So is the general consensus that if I get an SX, I need to mod it before I play it as opposed to a Squier?

• Members

And yeah, the headstock made me not really like the Vintage white..

Anyways, fretless, seems to be pretty cool. I played one before.

So is the general consensus that if I get an SX, I need to mod it before I play it as opposed to a Squier?

You don't need to. IMO only, SX's out of the box, are better than Squire's off the store shelf. With the pots swapped out (under $20 and a little soldering) they are on par with MIM Fenders. With a heavier bridge they are nicer than MIM Fenders. I've purchased and modded 4 SX's last year.

• Members

Look for a 90's MIJ Fernandes used. Close to as good as the MIJ fenders for half the cost. I think these were actually made in the same factory as a matter of fact. There was a Fernandes Jazz for $175 on craigslist here in Austin. You may have to change the pickups but i dont know.

• Members

I might get one of those SX basses.

Not too expensive and the matching headstock one (Lake Placid Blue) looks pretty decent.

spb623ts1.jpg

This is the one I got...put some used SD 1/4 pounders in ($30us), Gotoh 201 bridge (about $30us) and it's a beast...

oh yeah - had to paint the pickguard black...($0us)

Archived