What the hell is this? (upright-related)

NeonVomit

• Members

800px-Double_bass_C_extension.jpg

I've seen some uprights with this weird thing on the head, usually in orchestras. What is it? Is it fitted to it? Is it a part of the bass? What is it for? Does it have something to do with extending range?

I haven't seen any basses for sale like this. It's been bugging me for a while, and have not managed to find any info on it at all.

• Members

So the way "transposing" is used here just means playing the note in a different octave than written? That's a different meaning than the usage I'm familiar with. Being able to play low notes in the proper octave seems like a benefit to me. Why even have a bass, otherwise?

• Members

That's a keyed extension. It's an extension of the fingerboard on the estring so you can get down to a low C. Some have mechanical keys that slide on to the strings like this one, and some you use you own fingers to play down there. It sounds wicked to hear a bass bowing a low C.

• Members

Being able to play low notes in the proper octave seems like a benefit to me. Why even have a bass, otherwise?

Oh it's certainly a benefit, don't get me wrong, but not one I'd shell out that amount of cash for at this stage :D

Archived