Peavey Max head

axe2 2001

• Members

Hey bass dudes! Guitar player here. I'm looking at a Peavey max 160 bass head for my bass player. Anyone use or have experience with these? My main concern I guess is reliability. I found an old peavey somthing or other for him last year, used at a good price but it crapped out so I'm gonna pick him up another amp. The max series seems to have features he needs and power isn't a concern. If it gets to that point, i'll run him in the PA. I really did try to search but I didn't find alot on this amp. Thanks in advance, Rob

• Members

What did you do that broke the last Peavey?

Usually when people say 'reliability' Peavey is the first name that comes up. It's solid stuff.

I think it's a bad pot. It cuts in and out but gets better when you tweek around with the volume pot. It did it from the start when I bought it a year ago but it's getting worse. I tried contact cleaner but that didn't help. Since it's old as dirt, well, the 80's, I figure for a few hundred I can find a newer amp with a warranty for him. Taking it to a tech would probably be $50.00 to $100.00, thats half way to a max 160.

• Members

You could fix it yourself a lot cheaper.... if that's your sort of thing.

(I'm currently sitting in a room full of partially dissassembled cabs that I'm fixing for a friend)

But if you think a Max160 is big enough then, yeah, it's pretty cheap.

Archived