New to bass. I have $3,000. Build me a rig.

barneyc4

• Members

if your brand new to the instrument, i'd suggest you buy used since you're likely to not get exactly what you want the first one or two times you try. In your price range you could get just about anything.

You could duplicate my entire setup for that much $ if you buy used.

Modulus Quantum 5 $1500

Aguilar DB659 $300

Soundtech PS802 $250

SWR goliath III $500

$2550

This also doesn't suck... ;)

• Members

Alright.

For a more modern sound, I'd suggest:

Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 ($1000)

Genz Benz GBE750 ($1000)

Fender American Jazz or Precision ($1000 ea) or both as mexican ($400+$450)w/pickup upgrades ($200) or both as highway one versions ($600 + $600)

But I'm more old school, so if it were me:

Orange AD200 ($1600)

Ampeg 610 ($700)

Mexican Fender P-Bass ($400)

Good Luck.

Tim

• Members

ok, for another $1k, I'll throw in my Fender Roscoe Beck V

Not bad for $2200.

Please forgive my spam.
:wave:

You're selling the fiver? Damn if I was building a rig and I needed a bass, and of course if I lived a lot closer to you I'd so consider that...

Edit: And of course if I could afford it...

• Members

"Giggable" is a flexible term. I showed up last night as the opener with a GK1001rbII (700w), and an Avatar 210/212 stack. The other 2 bassists played with 100watt combos. :idea:

I'm surprised I wasn't asked if I would let them use my rig.:D

Anyways, my recommendation would be to buy a medium level (priced) rig, like $1000 outlay for the whole deal, and spend the rest on not only a very nice bass, but a couple of lessons, and the various sundry items you'll find yourself needing (amp cables, instrument cables, rack, stands, etc.)

I've spent alot more on my rig than my basses over the years, and if I had it to do over again, I would have done it the other way around.

C7

• Members

I considered GB when I posted mine, but I think it's more important to put some money to the side to fund bass experimentation.

+1...and I thought that GB amps don't seem like a first bass amp purchase....all the EQ options, multiple channels blendable pre-amps etc. seem like a purchase for an experienced bassist/bass amp user....

• Moderators

+1...and I thought that GB amps don't seem like a first bass amp purchase....all the EQ options, multiple channels blendable pre-amps etc. seem like a purchase for an experienced bassist/bass amp user....

How can I completely agree and completely disagree at the same time. :confused:

It is so much that it can be confusing and the user might focus more on the knobs than on playing.

Then again, it offers great flexibility and room to grow and an opportunity to learn which of those features are useful to that user and which are superfluous to that user.

---

My $3,000 rig of choice would be:

- Lakland Skyline Glaub or Osborn based on personal preference of Ps or Js (under 1k)

- Thunderfunk TFB550 or Genz Benz GBE750 ($1,250 or $1,075)

- a pair of 2x10s, a 4x10, a 2x12, a pair of 1x15s or a 6x10 from Acme, Aguilar, Bag End, Bergantino, Eden, Epifani, Genz Benz, Mesa/Boogie or Peavey - depending on tonal preferences, size/weight considerations, etc. (1k or less)

I think that there are lots of basses that could be subbed in for the Laklands (Fender, G&L, Musicman, etc.), but I personally feel the Laklands are can't miss in that price range.

I think there are lots of good amps too, but you simply can't fail with those two amps.

Cabinets are a much harder choice. I love my Acme's but they just are not for everyone. I have heard great tones coming from each of the other manufacturer's I've listed. I feel like the cabinets I've played from each of these manufacturer's are cabinets I could confidently use in my rig. however, since my playing experience is heavily weighted in favor of my Acme's it is hard to pick a second favorite.

Archived