New to bass. I have $3,000. Build me a rig.

barneyc4

• Members

Hi guys,

Im a guitar player that needs a cool bass rig. I have $3,000 bucks to spend on a bass, amp head, and cab. So recommend me one of each.

Here are some of my favorite bands.

Tool

Pink Floyd

Santana

Alter Bridge

Godsmack

• Members

You want a "cool" bass rig, and you want us to tell you exactly what to buy?

We can't tell you that man, you gotta get out there and try some stuff.

However, if all you want is a "cool" bass rig, then go to your local guitard center, and get an ampeg SVT-6pro and full stack.

• Members

Start by putting a decent amplification rig together. Then you can experiment with basses.

I'd go for the following:

Peavey Tour 700 $560

Peavey Tour 410 $600

Peavey Cirrus BXP $600

That leaves you with $1200 to sock away for your next bass. This is a rig that will never fail you and will give you a good modern tone, but it's stil capable of being very old school sounding when needed.

I play a Peavey Cirrus through a Peavey Pro 500 and am very happy.

• Members

Start by putting a decent amplification rig together. Then you can experiment with basses.

I'd go for the following:

That leaves you with $1200 to sock away for your next bass. This is a rig that will never fail you and will give you a good modern tone, but it's stil capable of being very old school sounding when needed.

I play a Peavey Cirrus through a Peavey Pro 500 and am very happy.

that would work for sure!! Can't go wrong with those Peaveys...and you would be hard pressed to get more knowledgeable sound advice than what you get from B-dizzle!

but for interest's sake check out Yorkville head/cab option too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yorkville-XS800H-800-Watt-Bass-Head?sku=489076

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yorkville-XC410-Bass-Cab?sku=607103

The Traynor branded all tube head doesn't seem to be listed on MF but that is a cool piece of kit for reasonable $$$ (grab one of those and a pair of 2x12s from Avatar or Dr. Bass.....YIKES:eek: )

maybe think of a MTD Z bass as well if you want modern tones.....

G&L Tribute L2000?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tribute-by-GL-L2000-Premium-4String-Bass?sku=511123

• Members

Wow, this is cool, I get to spend someone elses money and I've got $3K to boot, LOL. OK, this is what I would get:

Bass: Dean Edge 4 4-String Bass in black, of course.($319.99)

Head: Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II Mono Bass Amp Head,(799.99)

Cab: Ashdown ABM 414T 4X10" Bass Speaker Cabinet with Tweeter,4ohm.($799.99)

Total would be $1919.97+ shipping($69.99 because of weight) and you'd still have money left over for a practice amp, extra bass, strings, stand, cables, ect. :thu:

• Members

that would work for sure!! Can't go wrong with those Peaveys...and you would be hard pressed to get more knowledgeable sound advice than what you get from B-dizzle!

but for interest's sake check out Yorkville head/cab option too.

The Traynor branded all tube head doesn't seem to be listed on MF but that is a cool piece of kit for reasonable $$$ (grab one of those and a pair of 2x12s from Avatar or Dr. Bass.....YIKES:eek: )

maybe think of a MTD Z bass as well if you want modern tones.....

G&L Tribute L2000?

Also excellent suggestions. You cannot go wrong with that rig or the Peavy Rig. It would be perfect to have at least $1000 left over to just sit on while figuring out exacly what you're after.

• Members

I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you want to spend all your money buy:

Bass of your liking. (Peavey, Spector, Fender, Lakland Skyline etc. You really need to play some to see what you like. Would you just let somebody tell you what a good guitar is without playing it?)

Ampeg SVT-CL

Ampeg 410HLF

Or. If you want good rig for less money go with:

Spector Legend $600

Ashdown mag 300 $300

• Members

If I could go back, I'd say invest in a quality bass first and get a rig with what's left over.

Basses usually keep a higher trade or resale value over time (some at least), and if you have to go DI a lot, if your bass sounds like ass your amp can't save you.

• Members

if your brand new to the instrument, i'd suggest you buy used since you're likely to not get exactly what you want the first one or two times you try. In your price range you could get just about anything.

You could duplicate my entire setup for that much $ if you buy used.

Modulus Quantum 5 $1500

Aguilar DB659 $300

Soundtech PS802 $250

SWR goliath III $500

$2550

Archived