OT: A crisis of priorities

In Absentia

• Members

In one year I will grad. college with an undergrad degree in Poli Sci. I wanted to go to law school. However, recently, I wonder how much time this will give me to do the things that I want to do in the future (music, family, etc.). I don't want to just be another person that goes to work and comes home and hates life. I'd rather be poor. However, my dad is correct in his analysis that "life is a {censored} sandwich. the more bread you have, the less {censored} you have to eat". What I'm saying is I'd rather be poor, but I want to give my kids a good life.

So, law school or another path?

• Members

As a fellow poli sci guy, I have to say, our options are limited. I went the army route, but am getting out this fall. Prolly stay in the analysis community, but I am also trying to go State dept. Whats your focus? If its pre-law, then yeah, you pretty much need to go. Public policy or intl relations you can keep looking, but you'll need an advanced degree at some point. If youre single, and have the $ to go, get it out of the way now. Or join the military, any branch, and see one of the end results of the theory you've learned. Game theory is much more interesting when you have used it to figure out tribal relationships and terrorist funding. Plus, honestly, the pay is better than just about anything else you can do with this degree. Esp on the officer side, but with 8 years in as an NCO, I do alright. Its an option :)

• Members

As a fellow poli sci guy, I have to say, our options are limited. I went the army route, but am getting out this fall. Prolly stay in the analysis community, but I am also trying to go State dept. Whats your focus? If its pre-law, then yeah, you pretty much need to go. Public policy or intl relations you can keep looking, but you'll need an advanced degree at some point. If youre single, and have the $ to go, get it out of the way now. Or join the military, any branch, and see one of the end results of the theory you've learned. Game theory is much more interesting when you have used it to figure out tribal relationships and terrorist funding. Plus, honestly, the pay is better than just about anything else you can do with this degree. Esp on the officer side, but with 8 years in as an NCO, I do alright. Its an option
:)

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Law school is probably the way for me.

• Moderators

I was an engineering major, but went to law school. I'm seven years into my practice and a partner at a major international law firm. I play regularly (weekly) with one local band, less frequently with two more and record with a couple touring acts (I do not tour). I also take weekly double bass lessons and find time to practice every week. I have a two year old son and he doesn't slow me down one bit, he encourages me to play more (just mostly when he is asleep). Except in time of disaster, I make it home for dinner with the family at least 4 week nights every week and am always there on the weekend. Unfortunately, due to my wife's mental illness I've been in a "disaster event" for the past year. The autonomy and flexibility (and salary) I am given as a lawyer is the only way I've been able to have my schedule and pocketbook be flexible enough to work around her illness. It's not for everyone, but if the interest is there, you should talk to people you know that have gone to law school and are in practice to hear their stories. I would be happy to talk to you about it if you would like to hear more about my experiences. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number to call sometime.

• Members

In one year I will grad. college with an undergrad degree in Poli Sci. I wanted to go to law school. However, recently, I wonder how much time this will give me to do the things that I want to do in the future (music, family, etc.). I don't want to just be another person that goes to work and comes home and hates life. I'd rather be poor. However, my dad is correct in his analysis that "life is a {censored} sandwich. the more bread you have, the less {censored} you have to eat". What I'm saying is I'd rather be poor, but I want to give my kids a good life.

You gotta do what makes you happy... if you hate you're job you'll probably hate your life and your kids will know. Kids don't need lots of stuff, as long as you can feed them good food and give a roof they should be fine.

• Members

Listen to your dad. rat

• Members

You gotta do what makes you happy... if you hate you're job you'll probably hate your life and your kids will know. Kids don't need lots of stuff, as long as you can feed them good food and give a roof they should be fine.

I think I'd be happy in both situations, but I just don't want to have to give up music. I'm afraid I won't be able to play in a band.

• Members

Something else you need to think about, there are a lot of College Grads flipping burgers for a living now days. Do something that you love to do and don't worry about the money. Life is way too short to work your entire life doing something you hate because it pays well only to look back on it all on your death bed and say "Man, I wish I'd did things differently". I wish to god I'd have really pushed harder to get into a band when I was young and make Music my life, instead I went to DeVry, got a Tech Cert. and have worked a butt load of dead end jobs and hated doing it. Now at 46 I still want to get into a band, cut some CD's and try to leave a mark on the world as a musician but time is quickly running out for me. Man, I wish I'd have done things differently. :cry:

• Members

Brother, no matter what you do, unless you make music your full time career, there will be times you will not be able to play in bands. Fact of life. You can mitigate that by going to jam nights, getting involved with more casual projects (church bands have been a great outlet for me), or what have you, but once you make a career and family a priority, you gotta man up and make them the priority.

• Members

However, my dad is correct in his analysis that "life is a {censored} sandwich. the more bread you have, the less {censored} you have to eat".

no offense to you or your dad. but this is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. it's what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy, if that's how you look at life, than yours will indeed be {censored}ty, and no amount of "bread" is going to change it.

i graduated from art school a couple years ago so i know alot about "worthless" degrees. but i also know alot about working my ass off and how little money it actually takes to be well fed and satisfied. it all comes down to how hard your willing to work. if your willing to WORK for what you want/need you will be golden, i promise. decide what you want [you probibly already know] and then go for it. if your one year from graduation you're probibly like 20 right? that leaves you lots of time, dont be afraid to {censored} up, few things are permenet.

• Members

Brother, no matter what you do, unless you make music your full time career, there will be times you will not be able to play in bands. Fact of life. You can mitigate that by going to jam nights, getting involved with more casual projects (church bands have been a great outlet for me), or what have you, but once you make a career and family a priority, you gotta man up and make them the priority.

Yeah, this is true. I def. don't want to make music a full priority.

• Members

and then go for it. if your one year from graduation you're probibly like 20 right? that leaves you lots of time, dont be afraid to {censored} up, few things are permenet.

Actually, I'm 26. I played music for about 7 years to no avail.

Archived