Recording help needed: 5 piece band, 4 track recorder.

Fireball_73

• Members

I only have one imput on my comupter, so I use a mini-mixer when using more than one mic. RUn the mics into the mixer then the output into the comp. Works pretty good.

I can't remember what it's called, but you can mix down the 4 tracks into 1 track and then you have 3 more tracks freed up.

• Members

Start with the room.

Walk around it and make noises. Listen to how the room sounds. Treat the walls so you don't have parallel surfaces. Use matresses, whatever. From there start setting up your instruments in a comfortable fashion. Start with the drums. Make sure nothing gets place in corners, nor the center of the room. You don't want waves bouncing off the walls and hitting the mic at he same time. You'll get comb filtering.

Now walk around the room to find a sweet spot to put a pair of mics. Look up X/Y pattern and track your drums, rhythm guitars and bass.

There's your 1st 2 tracks.

Now you can overdub leads; vocals & guitar.

There's tracks 3 & 4.

If done right, this will work remarkably well.

As I've mentioned in another thread today, it's not the tools. It's the craftsman...so use your ears.

Good luck, but most of all HAVE FUN. The challenge for you should be to capture that on tape; capture the moment! That's what recording should be all about.

Archived