Lookin for a drum machine!

xbassman

• Members

Well..... cause I suck!!:mad:

A trip over to an old guitard friend's house last weekend proved it.

I can still pull of some good riffs but what good is that if you fall out of a groove!

If somebody here could point me toward a decent inexpensive drum machine that I could tap a beat and let it repeat, I sure would appreciate it

• Members

For a little more, you might consider a Zoom PS-04. There's a ton of built-in drums and, while it's a little bit of a pain, you can program them also. You can plug in directly to it and then line-out to the amp. It also records (4 tracks), mixes, etc. It's got a headphone jack also so it'd fit the bill for traveling w/ only your bass, it and headphones.

You can buy one for $149 new and a lot less on ebay. I paid about $90 for mine w/ the power supply and an extra memory card.

• Members

Timing isn't the issue...stamina is.

I don't think a metronome would keep me goin long enough at a time to help.

i don't quite understand...

a metronome isn't going to stop. are you saying you just want something to play along with for a long time? check out an alesis SR-16, should be under a hundred on the bay. it may be a little cumbersome to program your own beats though. could look for an older Dr. Rhythm or similar.

you have a computer, got a DAW or similar? there are plenty of loops on the net as well as CD's you could buy and just loop em up.

• Members
i don't quite understand...

a metronome isn't going to stop. are you saying you just want something to play along with for a long time? check out an alesis SR-16, should be under a hundred on the bay. it may be a little cumbersome to program your own beats though. could look for an older Dr. Rhythm or similar.

you have a computer, got a DAW or similar? there are plenty of loops on the net as well as CD's you could buy and just loop em up.

Yeah, i'm not really sure what he wants either. It almost sounds like he wants something to literally tap out a rhythm and have the machine play it back for him, as opposed to programming one into it.

• Members

Yeah, i'm not really sure what he wants either.
It almost sounds like he wants something to literally tap out a rhythm and have the machine play it back for him, as opposed to programming one into it.

Yep that's exactly what I want.

Otherwise I would just use Hammerhead.

• Members

The Zoom MRT3 has two modes to record a beat pattern. In one, it's very regimented, and moves by note timing. The other, it records whatever you tap, be it good, bad, or ugly. The touch pads are pressure-sensitive, so if you really want to nail that cymbal sometimes, and just ride it softly at others, it will capture that.

I haven't messed with either of these modes much, though. There are already about 400 1- and 2-measure patterns on about 50 different kits already programmed in there.

• Members

they're usually a little more expensive, but the ones with step sequencing (like the korg boxes) usually let you record your beat in real time. i have an electribe and you can do this. the older models will be less expensive. i have found that the quantizing is a little wonky and you usually have to go back over it and fix some individual notes.

but overall, step sequencing is a lot easier to program/create simple beats than a software program. but even once you get used to the software it doesn't take much time at all.

• Members

The Zoom MRT3 has two modes to record a beat pattern. In one, it's very regimented, and moves by note timing. The other, it records whatever you tap, be it good, bad, or ugly. The touch pads are pressure-sensitive, so if you really want to nail that cymbal sometimes, and just ride it softly at others, it will capture that.

I haven't messed with either of these modes much, though. There are already about 400 1- and 2-measure patterns on about 50 different kits already programmed in there.

When you are tapping in a beat doesn't it round to the nearest 16th, 8th, etc.

(if your timing isn't the best tapping)

As long as it does that. I could get a decent pattern within 1 or 2 takes.

It has been a while since I even messed with a drum machine.

Last one I used was owned by the recording studio my old band did a record at. (Some high end unit that cost in the thousands....of course this was the '80's)

• Members

Yeah I already have that prog......

Too much work programming beats.

I would rather pay for convenience of tap and play.

I agree, I like the freedom to build one's own beats, but I tried hammerhead and pretty quickly realized I have no clue as a drummer (and that's just coming up with decent beats, completely leaving out drum technique).

Reminds me, though, I don't have that on this new PC yet.

Archived