Color me Shocked - The FBI Admits to breaking the law and violating the Patriot act..

King Kashue

• Members

Raise your hand if you called this one when the Patriot Act was first proposed, when it was first ratified, and when they had the debates on renewal...

The 126 page audit says the FBI underreported how often it used national security letters to gain information, and repeatedly used unofficial inquiries and emergency powers in non-emergency situations...

I created an inspirational poster (my first attempt at one) for the occassion...

dojposter.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I almost started this thread yesterday. Raising my hand. :wave:

Anyone remember discussions here not so long ago where a certain group of members was claiming this would and could never happen and accusing anyone raising any concerns whatsoever of being unpatriotic? I sure do.

• Members

this libertarian raises his hand twice.

now, where are the penalties and punishments? There wont be any.

Another Libertarian checkin' in with a Big, Fat, +1. I don't trust our government AT ALL and I will not give up Liberties for Security. That's just plan stupid. If the government would keep it's nose out of things I can take care of my own Security, thank you very much. :D

• Members

this libertarian raises his hand twice.

now, where are the penalties and punishments? There wont be any.

Nope. A few promotions and raises maybe - just as after the intelligence failures that allowed 9/11.

• Members

Another Libertarian checkin' in with a Big, Fat, +1. I don't trust our government AT ALL and I will not give up Liberties for Security. That's just plan stupid. If the government would keep it's nose out of things I can take care of my own Security, thank you very much.
:D

If you really feel that way, you should consider joining the ACLU, that seems to be the only organization making any attempts whatsoever to protect our liberties. The Libertarian party certainly hasn't been, in my opinion.

• Members

If you really feel that way, you should consider joining the ACLU, that seems to be the only organization making any attempts whatsoever to protect our liberties. The Libertarian party certainly hasn't been, in my opinion.

We need to get a lot of "Closet Libertarians" into the voting booths and put some Libertarian candidates into office. I've heard way to many people that are Libertarian at heart say that they vote Republican because they don't think their guy had a chance of winning. If they won't vote for him then he doesn't have a chance of winning. You have to vote your heart, take a chance and just see, I'd bet a lot of Libertarians would be in office if more people did that. :idea:

• Members

The LP has been dominated by cargo cultists ( radical anarchists) since 1983 - only since last year has there been any serious attempt to turn the LP into a bona fide political party. For most of it's history, it's purpose has been to try to recruit more "libertarians" (read more radical anarchists) , rather than engage in retail politics and public policy.

It is starting to turn around, despite itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

For the record, I'm a moderate libertarian - more of a Constitutionalist/Bill of Rights guy, and I think the radicals in the LP have been worse than R's and D's by promoting "principled" but politically impossible positions such as crack for kids, no national borders, and talking endlessly about {censored} that doesn't mean dick to the average American.

• Members

We need to get a lot of "Closet Libertarians" into the voting booths and put some Libertarian candidates into office. I've heard way to many people that are Libertarian at heart say that they vote Republican because they don't think their guy had a chance of winning. If they won't vote for him then he doesn't have a chance of winning. You have to vote your heart, take a chance and just see, I'd bet a lot of Libertarians would be in office if more people did that.
:idea:

I'm a registered Democrat, though I've at times thought I'd be a better fit with the Libertarians, except in my experience, they're nothing like what they claim to be. I've read lots of Libertarian literature, and very little of it seems concerned with protecting any liberties other than 2nd amendment gun rights, which I see as a terrible misprioritization. Where were they in trying to stop the excesses of the Patriot Act?

The ACLU is the only group I see doing anything to protect our liberties. Until the Libertarians start acting like they take their name seriously and understand what it supposed to mean, I've got no use for them.

• Members

Keeping the 2nd Amend. IS a priority with me along with Legalized Weed, Freedom of Religion(to be or not to be) A person's right to choose in marriage(hey, you want to marry a guy that's your business) and their right to choose in live/death(if I'm brain dead I want my wife to have the right to end things so I can move on and If a woman can live with killing her unborn child it's not up to me to stop her) I'm pretty much for Freedom, I don't like any group trying to impose their moriality on anyone else.

• Members

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Gee, the federal government makes mistakes?? Say it isn't so !!:eek: :eek:

How about the DMV's, the SS Admin., the Medicare, Homeland Security.

And we want them to run healthcare?????

Yep, I feel safer already.:bor: :bor: :bor:

• Members

.... For most of it's history, it's purpose has been to try to recruit more "libertarians" (read more radical anarchists) ....

I hear you, I was on their recruiting target list for a while. Most of the members I know aren't radical anarchists at all, though, but disaffected Republicans and right wingers. I can see where that anarchist aspect used to be more of a factor, though.

• Members

:blah:

Gee, the federal government makes mistakes?? Say it isn't so !!
:eek:
:eek:

How about the DMV's, the SS Admin., the Medicare, Homeland Security.

And we want them to run healthcare?????

Yep, I feel safer already.
:bor:

You were one of the ones claiming this just wouldn't happen, so it seems more than a bit specious of you to say now that abuse of the Patriot Act was inevitable.

• Members

I almost started this thread yesterday. Raising my hand.
:wave:

Anyone remember discussions here not so long ago where a certain group of members was claiming this would and could never happen and accusing anyone raising any concerns whatsoever of being unpatriotic? I sure do.

Why do you hate America?

King Cashew - your poster needs one more thing: an aging crossdresser in the background.

This is an ongoing quest, to prevent the feds from investigating innocent citizens. Go back in history and nearly (probably) every Prez has had at least one or two instances in his tenure where someone (usually the press) questions an "abuse of power." However, the very nature of the so-called Patriot Act didn't just open the door for such possible abuse, it blew the door off the hinges! Surely everyone, except the Bush-loving LUG (they are BOTH from Texas, you know), could see this coming. I am glad that a gov't agency WITHIN THE SAME TENURE calls it the same way. Post-Bush accusations would have been swept away, similar to post-Clinton accusations and post-Bush the First accusations and post-Reagan....you get the point. Hopefully, this might actually change policy.

*checks home for wiretaps and microwave transmissions*

• Members

However, the very nature of the so-called Patriot Act didn't just open the door for such possible abuse, it blew the door off the hinges! Surely everyone, except the Bush-loving LUG (they are BOTH from Texas, you know), could see this coming.

NOW HOLD ON!

They got busted for VIOLATING the Patriot Act. My take is Gonzales (after being properly informed)and the Inspector General are going after these scounderals who would VIOLATE this fine fine piece of legisislation. CURSES ON THOSE EVIL DOERS! :mad:

I now return you to your regular broadcast station.

:D

• Members

Let me know when they decide that the ENTIRE Constitution is worth defending, and not just the parts that they feel are "important" - I won't hold my breath for it, though...

- georgestrings

Archived