15" speaker choice

Benjamin

• Members

I am getting my little 15" cabinet back off a mate, minus driver. My 4x10 is loaded with Eminence speakers and I like those. Looking for recommendations on a good 15" speaker around the 300W+ mark.

I see Eminence make the Basslite C2515 at 4ohm. Looks about the right job, however my mate runs a PA business and he can source a similar speaker he uses with success in his cabs. Is the Eminence a good benchmark?

The idea is that my 4x10 is 600W @ 4ohm. I have a 300W Trace head, but that will be replaced in 6 months with maybe a Traynor YBA-200. If I wire a second series output in the 15" 4ohm cab, linking the 4x10:

1. Will the Trace running combined cabs at 8ohm really give me a reasonable volume?

2. Will the Traynor cope with that better at 8ohm, or can the Traynor go to 2ohm?

I don't like the idea of mixing 8 and 4ohm cabs. The 4x10 can't be rewired, it is my primary cab and copes extremely well in most situations. At this stage I am toying with sounds and a 1x15 is much more transportable. If I can hook the two up then I have some extra sound.

Thanks!

• Members

The Traynor can only do 4 or 8 ohms.

There is nothing wrong with mixing impedances with a Solid State amp.

The basslite would be a great speaker for your 1x15.

The two cabs will put out more volume in series at 8 ohms than they would individually at 4 ohms with the same amp.

You''l just need to put in a switch to make the series output work yet still be able to use the 4x10 as a standalone.

• Members

The selection 4 ohm 15" drivers is rather limited. I honestly don't know what is available.

If you are looking to move to a Traynor tube amp in the not too distant future, you will need a 4 ohm 15 that you can series with the 4 ohm 4x10 so that you can present a load that the Traynor can safely drive.

• Members

I thought the Traynor only had 8 and 4 ohm taps?

Unless forbidden by the manufacturer, it's safe to drive a larger load with a tube amp. And unless specified by the manufacturer use the tap that sounds the best. In general, it's always OK to drive a larger load with a tube amp. I use the manufacturer caveat in case the manufacturer has some strange reason to disallow it, though I don't know what that could be.

Archived