electric bass recording mic

Bottom Feeder

• Members

:thu: Hi all,

just wondering if anyone out there can recommend a mic they have used and were happy with for recording bass. I know alot of guys out there like going direct but, I'm not one of them. Some back round info: recording to digital, recording live off the floor at stage volume...loud SPL's. If any one can drop me a couple of names/models it would be much appreciated!

• Members

Off the top of my head:

EV RE20 - great at reducing proximity effect making it a favorite vocal mic in radio stations. However, I've heard that it is also THE mic that was used for kick drum back in Motown's heyday. Sells for about $450.

Sennheiser 421 - it's a great guitar cab mic, but I've heard it get fantastic results on drums and bass (even upright) as well. Sells for around $350.

Shure Beta 52 - it's designed to be a kick mic, so it'll withstand the high SPL with ease, and it's also designed for low frequencies making it a great bass mic. Retail around $190.

Audio-Technica ATM 25 - I haven't used this one personally, but Mojo Pie gave it a great review and it has my interest as a budget bass mic. Retail about $180.

Personally, I'd love to get a RE20, but can't justifiy the cost for my home recording use. So I may get a ATM 25 for bass at some point and time.

• Members

The AKG D112 is another kick drum mic that might work. I used one on a bass going into a guitar amp (which I know is a not the best idea), and I was pleased with the results.

I had one recording session where a Senheiser 421 was used on the bass amp, I found the result to be very thin and bright. Although, others seem to like it for bass.

If you are just going to have one mic and not go direct at all, I think something intended for kick drums or bass would be your best bet.

• Members

I didn't like my bass kick mic at all (Shure Beta 52). I got better sounds out of a SM 57. Depending on how many inputs you have, I'd blend the direct and 57 sound (even though you said you didn't like it, maybe the blend would sound good). Since you are at high SPL, the 57 should sound pretty good with out as much bleed from other instruments.

Yo.

Archived