Godin Bass neck how does it compare to Fender

Marktime

• Members

I am looking to buy a new Freeway 4 Godin bass and have heard mainly good about these basses. Previously I had a Fender Jazz ( nineties USA) and really liked the neck feel and playability. Had a good feel in ones hand. Well I am in the process of getting a Godin but no local stores and no return. Has anyone here played these and how does it say compare. On the review page I had seen a few coments as to the neck being to big at the 12th fret. I am not looking for the basesball bat style neck of say some early basses that say mid 70's P or too flat of a neck depth wise.

Thanks in advance for any input

Cheers..

• Members

Definitely not baseball bat style necks. I agree that the necks are somewhat shallow, which I really like.

I played a couple Godin basses this morning and really liked them. Don't know what models they were, but they had p/j pups and string-thru-body bridges. I quite liked them. Very reasonably priced as well. :thu::cool:

• Members

I briefly had a Godin Freeway Leaftop 5 string just to try it out. The neck is comparable to a Fender P. I'm not a P Bass player nor do any of my basses employ a P pup! The J pup was non existant. The P pup had way more presence and I just could not get any useful tone out of it. If you like P basses, you'll probably like this one. I also couldn't get used to the P pup as I usually rest my thumb on my p/u and resting my thumb on that screw was annoying. They are a well made instrument and not heavy at all. Just not my bag!

• Members

I've got an SD-4 that has a fairly pronounced V shape to the neck. It feels a bit odd to my hands. I used to have an A4 which had a fairly jazzish feel. Neither are particularly chunky, but not as shallow as my Sterling or an Ibanez Soundgear. They both had a gloss finish that I don't particularly care for. Construction on both basses was good, and the price is right. But ultimately, they're not the bass for me.

• Moderators

I've got an SD-4 that has a fairly pronounced V shape to the neck. It feels a bit odd to my hands. I used to have an A4 which had a fairly jazzish feel. Neither are particularly chunky, but not as shallow as my Sterling or an Ibanez Soundgear. They both had a gloss finish that I don't particularly care for. Construction on both basses was good, and the price is right. But ultimately, they're not the bass for me.

Any pics? I have a yellow SD-4 and a Plum stained SD-5. I personally like them a lot. The necks feel very old school P next to the body and J at the headstock to me. Not too clunky, but not extremely fast either. They fit me well, but they aren't for everyone. That's for sure. Don't know about the new ones. I prefer pickguards.

• Members

Any pics? I have a yellow SD-4 and a Plum stained SD-5. I personally like them a lot. The necks feel very old school P next to the body and J at the headstock to me. Not too clunky, but not extremely fast either. They fit me well, but they aren't for everyone. That's for sure. Don't know about the new ones. I prefer pickguards.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Archived