So I smelt burning plastic from my speaker cabinet today...

funkrockfreedomfighter

• Members

...and I'm a bit concerned! I've heard of people describe a smell of something burning in reference to frying woofers, but don't remember what the smell was like. I smelt the burning from my SWR Goliath II cabinet (4 10"s, 400 watts, 8 ohms). I bought the cabinet used a few months ago and never smelt anything until today. Nothing I did today was particuarly different than usual, so I'd like your opinion on what could possibly be going on.

Burning wires? Insulation? Woofers?

If it helps, the entire rig is as follows

SM-900

Goliath II

Son of Bertha

The two cabinets together are 750 watts at 4 ohms and the head puts out 800 watts at 4 ohms (it's the 1st gen SM-900).

Thanks!

• Members

Take the grill off and gently and evenly, use one hand on each side of the speaker and push in on the cone. You are feeling for any roughness as the cone moves in. If it is not completely smooth, you burned/warped the voice coil.

• Members

Well, if you're smelting near the speakers, no wonder it's hot! It takes high temperatures to smelt metal!
:D

Man, you're a smartass. A smartass who beat me to it! :mad:;):thu:

I'd check the movement of the woofers, as Ty suggested, and perhaps pull the drivers out of the offending cab to check inside components.

Dustin

Archived